Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Wanting to get RID of that 4.2 .. what can swap out ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to get RID of that 4.2 .. what can swap out ?

Ok , honestly ... I am tired of all these "codes" and headaches when you want to do a mod and would prefer to swap out engines with an older model ( say like a 460 or similar ) and was wondering if anybody here knows what engine(s) would bolt up to my bell due to the fact I am not looking to do a complete drive train swap ... just an engine swap . Lots of reasons behind me wanting to do this ... so any info you can offer would be GREAT . ( besides , this little V6 doesn't have very many ponies to do much with anyway - lol )

Thanks
Old 06-30-2013, 09:12 AM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by terbobob
Ok , honestly ... I am tired of all these "codes" and headaches when you want to do a mod and would prefer to swap out engines with an older model ( say like a 460 or similar ) and was wondering if anybody here knows what engine(s) would bolt up to my bell due to the fact I am not looking to do a complete drive train swap ... just an engine swap . Lots of reasons behind me wanting to do this ... so any info you can offer would be GREAT . ( besides , this little V6 doesn't have very many ponies to do much with anyway - lol )

Thanks
Do you have emissions testing or does your state require you to pass annual obd2 readiness inspections? If so, I think the only way around it is to buy a pre-obd2 vehicle and mod away. Any swaps on a obd2 vehicle that requires inspection will have to pass readiness tests. I'm sure a motor swap can be done, but bet ot is a real headache.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:59 PM

No ... no emission testing ... nothing to worry about there . But , again , if anybody can tell me what early 70's engines would bolt up ... that would be great .
Old 07-03-2013, 12:23 AM

well .... it seems nobody here knows .....
Old 07-04-2013, 11:19 AM

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by terbobob
well .... it seems nobody here knows .....
None without the tranny. The 4.2 is was a new engine so the older wont bolt up plus the fact that motor mounts would be different also
If your going old school the easiest way is Chevy because of the ease of HEI distributor other wise your in for a lot of harnesses and would almost need the whole truck. You can do it either way but not easy
Old 07-05-2013, 08:36 AM

Thank you SNOWFLAKE ....

Thats the info I was looking for . And to tell you the truth , this is only the 2nd Ford I have ever owned .. ( think I'll go back to the bowties .. much easier and cheaper )
And FTR - motor mounts are NEVER a problem .. just proper engine/tranny/bell housing bolt up is what holds me back ( sometimes - meaning they DO sometimes make/have adapters -- JEGS )
Also , when I spoke of "older" engines ... I was referring to BEFORE (like early to mid 70's ) all that junk and oversized door stops with no pony power ...

Last edited by terbobob; 07-05-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:14 PM
The Milk Man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is absolutely no reason the chevy is easier to install than the ford engine. You can buy a 1-wire distributor for the ford just as easy...
Old 08-08-2013, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Juice_man_86
There is absolutely no reason the chevy is easier to install than the ford engine. You can buy a 1-wire distributor for the ford just as easy...
Really ? well you obviously have not owned very many Chevy's then for a making such a blatant statement .

Quick Reply: Wanting to get RID of that 4.2 .. what can swap out ?