Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Underdrive Pulley kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Underdrive Pulley kit

How hard is it to install one of these on a 4.6? and what is the theory behind increasing the idle speed if you have bigger tires or a stereo with 1500watts and no caps? (troyerperformance.com thing....)
Old 06-04-2008, 04:13 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

The alternator pulley requires an impact wrench, the water pump pulley is a no brainer, and the crank pulley requires the use of a harmonic dampener puller. If you want a set of pullies, get ASP, or March as long as they have a NEW integral crank balancer, not that piggyback ****.

*the pullies do include instructions
Old 06-04-2008, 09:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

its a pretty easy install, just takes time cause you have to pull the stock fan and fan shroud out to do the job.

the reason for increasing idle speed when you have no caps is to keep the battery voltage up. no idea why you would increase the idle for larger tires
Old 06-05-2008, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have read that underdrive pulleys can cause batteries to go bad, cooling issues, and that in stop and go traffic is hard on alternator.

I am wondering if anyone on here has experience with them to comment on if this was true in the beginning of underdrive pullies or if it is still an issue or is this an isolated case.
I have thought about them myself but just not sure, would hate to put them on then have other problems.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

huh... i've never heard about that. The altenator pulley would be bigger... right? So would you have to change your altenator to keep your battery from going dead all the time? The a/c wouldn't be that big of an issue for me because i hardly ever use it, but i have heard that the a/c doesn't always work as good as it used to but it doesn't cause any "real" problems.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:06 PM

ive had my UD pullies on for a few thousand miles now. the ac is just as cold as it has always been. with my system and head lights on, my scangauge says i still have 13.9v at idle so no charging issues. and my truck runs at 195* all the time so there is no cooling issues as well
Old 06-07-2008, 12:35 AM
Paint it black

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
ive had my UD pullies on for a few thousand miles now. the ac is just as cold as it has always been. with my system and head lights on, my scangauge says i still have 13.9v at idle so no charging issues. and my truck runs at 195* all the time so there is no cooling issues as well
you do have efans...which may help the cooling

i have heard of issues, however when you do any performance mods you have effects...i would and am going to do it when i install my fan...i am buying the summit racing kit, its a p/c blue and summit is a high quality source, 99 bucks, anyways if your worried a good investment would be a red top optima
Old 06-07-2008, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by blackbetty
you do have efans...which may help the cooling

i have heard of issues, however when you do any performance mods you have effects...i would and am going to do it when i install my fan...i am buying the summit racing kit, its a p/c blue and summit is a high quality source, 99 bucks, anyways if your worried a good investment would be a red top optima
thats true, i do have efans now, but when i first put the UD pulleys on, i had the stock mechanical fan. still ran 195* all the time. but you do bring up a good point, even with the efans, stereo and headlights, i still dont have any charging issues.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Paint it black

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

seeing as most cars that run under drives are older i could see that a alt. would go, but i dont think its more of a over worked issue as its more likely a maintenance issue. its most likely a it was just its time kind of a deal, but 3 things you could do for power increases, a capacitor, a red top, and a larger alt.

however none of those are needed imo, the capacitor is a good idea if you have a system, and the red top is good for colder area's with higher cold cranking amps, and the larger alt is an option on f150's
Old 06-08-2008, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by blackbetty
seeing as most cars that run under drives are older i could see that a alt. would go, but i dont think its more of a over worked issue as its more likely a maintenance issue. its most likely a it was just its time kind of a deal, but 3 things you could do for power increases, a capacitor, a red top, and a larger alt.

however none of those are needed imo, the capacitor is a good idea if you have a system, and the red top is good for colder area's with higher cold cranking amps, and the larger alt is an option on f150's

a lot of good points you bring up. altho im going to disagree with you on thing. yellow top > red top. my buddy has a huge system in his tundra. kept eating up red tops left and right. switched to a yellow and all is well. all the guys i know who run large stereos run yellows and most will say its because their red top couldnt hack it.

Quick Reply: Underdrive Pulley kit