Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Transmission tail shaft leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission tail shaft leak

Has anyone had this problem? I have a 1994 F-150 2 wheel drive with a E4OD trans. The tail seal is leaking. Sounds like a simple fix. I took the old one out and went and got a new seal. The new seal is slightly bigger than the old one. It will not fit into the tail shaft and the rubber seal around the drive shaft yoke is slightly bigger too (doesn't fit as tightly as the old). At O'Reiley's they show the new seal is the right part number and should fit....It doesn't. Does anyone know if there is a new and old design depending on early in the year or what?
Old 09-08-2013, 03:44 PM

Default I figured it out!

I figured out my problem. If anyone is interested. Everyone was wrong! I didn't have A E4OD trans. They have 20 bolt oil pans. I have the AODE with 14 bolts. I wish if they are going to make a different part they need to make it enough different so you can look at the new and old part next to each other and know its different. The seal for the E4OD trans is .018" bigger than the one for the AODE holding them up together they look like they are "Almost" the same.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:19 PM

Default Tail shaft seal still leaks!

I found what is the right seal for my trans but the new seal still leaks. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Transmission tail shaft leak