Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Transmission Shudder

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Shudder

I have a 2011 super crew XLT with the 5.0. 42,000 miles on it. I doesn't have the tow package so I had my mechanic add a non OEM transmission cooler. While he was at it, I asked him to go ahead and flush and fill the transmission. Since I got it back, it has a definite shudder when accelerating and immediately after shifting into 2nd gear. No shudder in any other gear except 2nd. I would think it has to have something to do with the transmission flush or the addition of the cooler because I didn't have the issue at all prior to taking it to the shop. I'm trying to decide if I should take it back to the mechanic or take it to the dealership and have them fix it under my Certified Pre-Owned warranty. Anyone with a similar problem/issue? Advice would be appreciated.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:30 AM

Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Did they replace all the Automatic Transmission Fluid? Are you sure they used the correct type of fluid? The most common failure is caused by mixing different type of fluid and using the wrong type. If your vehicle requires "Mercon Ⓡ V" using a fluid with "Mercon Ⓡ" rating without the "V" will caused shudder. However you can use a fluid with "Mercon" rating without the Ⓡ.
The following users liked this post:
sorrells1020 (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 03:29 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by sorrells1020
I have a 2011 super crew XLT with the 5.0. 42,000 miles on it. I doesn't have the tow package so I had my mechanic add a non OEM transmission cooler. While he was at it, I asked him to go ahead and flush and fill the transmission. Since I got it back, it has a definite shudder when accelerating and immediately after shifting into 2nd gear. No shudder in any other gear except 2nd...
sorrells1020,

I suggest having a Ford Dealer take a look at your truck. They'll be able to diagnose this concern. Let me know how it goes and I'll lend a hand, if necessary.

Ashley
Old 09-18-2013, 04:14 PM

Received 315 Likes on 239 Posts

Default find out what fluid was installed

That transmission requires Mercon LV. If he added anything else, it has a tendency to cause issues.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:41 AM

I went ahead and took it to the dealer. They spoke with my mechanic and confirmed that the right fluid was used. They also told me that adding the cooler was fine and wouldn't void the power train warranty. After driving it and feeling the shudder, the Ford tech beleives it may be the torque converter. I'm going to bring it back to Ford next week when they can work on it and will update the post when I get it back.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:09 AM

After driving it and feeling the shudder, the Ford tech beleives it may be the torque converter. I'm going to bring it back to Ford next week when they can work on it and will update the post when I get it back.
Watch this..
Old 09-19-2013, 10:43 AM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

I've said it before but I'll say it again. This is why it is important to READ your owners manual and service guide to know exactly what is needed.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:24 AM

I went ahead and took it to the dealer. They spoke with my mechanic and confirmed that the right fluid was used. They also told me that adding the cooler was fine and wouldn't void the power train warranty. After driving it and feeling the shudder, the Ford tech beleives it may be the torque converter.
The problem with the dealers it's full of incompetent technicians.
It shudder because the gears behind the Torque Converter is grinding. It's not a good idea to flush A/T because it's full of valves. If the valves get stuck the TC won't operate properly. From stop shift it 2nd gear and apply light throttle to see if it will engage. If your 2nd gear working fine without slipping try if there is also an issue downshifting.

Does your vehicle have a Transmission Control Indicator Lamp?

Last edited by w0lvez; 09-20-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by BCMIF150
I've said it before but I'll say it again. This is why it is important to READ your owners manual and service guide to know exactly what is needed.

Not sure what you mean by this...I read my owners manual and nowhere does it say that you cannot add a cooler or flush the transmission. Does yours say otherwise?

I'm trying to stay optimistic about it and I'm just glad that the dealership is acknowledging there is a problem...and it will be covered by the warranty.

Quick Reply: Transmission Shudder