Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Transmission fluid low or high, which is worse?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 09:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Transmission fluid low or high, which is worse?

I completed my trans pan drop, filter change, magnet clean, fluid replacement. All that was child's play compared to getting the fluid level just right. I have mastered getting the dipstick out without even touching the cat converter. I have done it a dozen times if I've done it once. I did measure what came out and had exactly 6 quarts. However, I did not measure what missed the catch pan.

I put the 6 quarts back in. The best reading I have been able to acquire is just below the cold hash mark at 165 degrees. I am using a pump made for quart bottles and am not wanting to overfill it. I do find problems filling it while hot because the plastic tubing is hard to keep off hot parts. So I usually let it cool way down then give it a few pumps of trans fluid. I then have to check it again once it gets back up close to operating temp.

I put 6 quarts back in but am obviously trying to replace the unknown quantity that missed the pan.
I probably am not going to get this right where it is suppose to be so is it better to be a little low or a little to full? How forgiving is the 6R80 should I not get it just right? Is it possible that if I get the temps up higher to around 190 then it would be in the hot hash mark. Surely 165 is not considered cold? Thanks

Last edited by 97Widerider; 03-28-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:23 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Add 1 pint.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid low or high, which is worse?