Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Tps

Old 01-20-2008, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tps

This may sound like a dumb question but what are some symptoms of the throttle position sensor being bad? I had my 2006 in the shop last week and the said it was the EGR, replaced that then it was the MAF replaced that now they are telling me it is the TPS. It's all covered under warranty so I'm not out any money but I want my truck back
Old 01-20-2008, 10:21 PM
workin for parts!!!

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

here ya go, tracked this down on google

You could have, a check engine light, transmission shift issues, bucking and jerking, idle surging, engine cutting off, hesitation when taking off, surge while cruising down the highway. There are many possible symptoms. You could have any one or any combination of symptoms, or even no symptoms at all except a check engine light.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:48 PM

Some of the things I do have, check engine light, idle surging, engine cutting off, but that was when I took it in for the EGR valve. I havent drove it after the replaced that and the MAF, but the said it is still doing the same thing. Is there anything else it could be.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:54 PM
workin for parts!!!

did they give you any codes? otherwise pretty much a shot in the dark
Old 01-20-2008, 11:01 PM

They did but I don't remember the code, I do know it was something like throttle position sensor B. But the first codes were for EGR then MAF now TPS could there be an even deeper problem, it is only two years old with 23K miles.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:04 PM
workin for parts!!!

good thing for warranty. hope you figger it out one of them mechanical guys will get it.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:09 PM

I hope so, I've only had it for three weeks and it's been in the shop for about a week and half of that and sat in my driveway for another week not running. But those first 2-3 days were great Thanks for the help though.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:12 PM
O.T. Mobil

Post F-150 Tps

I don't know if Ford is still using the same idle air bypass solenoid in the newer trucks, but that's been a gremlin for while. It sounds a lot more complicated than it is. This little rascal sits near the opening of the intake plentum. It's normally held on by two 8mm bolts, and has a small electrical plug in it. Failure of this component will cause those symptoms and will throw egr, tps, and even o2 sensor codes. It's relativly cheap ($50). But your under warranty...sweet!

Hope the pic shows up.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:54 AM

Well hopefully I get my truck back tomorrow, after replacing the EGR, MAF, TPS, and crank sensor (none of witch fixed the problem) they had to replace the computer. The shop manager said that he bumped the computer by accident and the truck died and after messing with that for a day or so that was the last thing that they could think to do. Man I hope it solves the problem I want me truck back! Everyone keep your fingers crossed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tps