Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

thoughts on breaking in a new engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default thoughts on breaking in a new engine?

i just ordered a 2010 XLT Screw and i've got a 3-hr ride home from the dealership when it comes in next month. I'm trying to figure out what the best way to break in the engine is. Basically I have found two schools of thought:

1 - do the manufacturer's recommended procedure. for the f150, the manual says: Your vehicle does not need an extensive break-in. Try not to drive
continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles. Vary your speed frequently. Drive your new vehicle at least 1,000 miles before towing a
trailer.

2 - this website breaks it down nicely: http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm what you are really trying to do when breaking in a engine is seat the compression rings to the cylinder walls. to do that, use medium to high power loading for short periods of time to seat the rings, letting the engine cool off between cycles. 5-6 15 minute cycles should do the trick.

what does everyone think? what's the right way to break in a new engine? slow and varying speed or medium-high power for short bursts?
Old 03-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Proud Owner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

do some burn outs, maybe some drag racing and some other fun stuff
Old 03-30-2010, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been in the auto industry for many years and have bulit and re-built many engines, including motorcycle ready race engines.
Right after were done putting an engine in a race bike first thing it does is hit the track, same thing with race cars. I can tell you that within the first 50 kms your engine is well seated.
Drive it thru the entire rpm range, but keep it under 90% throttle, but dont take it easy on it either.
Most likely the Tech that PDI`d your truck has already broken it in for you during his coffee run

Here read this; http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Last edited by Boooya; 03-30-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:20 AM

ha. yep. usually the break in is done by the guys who PDI the car or the deatilers who go fill er with gas when you buy it. espicially if the dealership is by a highway or an interstate. ha. and evenmore so if its a sportyer car. So you might not be the first person to take it to 5,000 rpms or over 75mph. haha
Old 03-31-2010, 12:58 AM
DSBP F-150

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

A pro stock burn out should be just fine, you will be ok. When i was told so, just dont do any heavy hauling or have a to much of a lead foot for the few first 1000 miles or so.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:50 PM

PDI??

yeah i think they do some of this at the factory but i might run it hard a little bit just to feel good about it
Old 03-31-2010, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by jt_04
PDI??

yeah i think they do some of this at the factory but i might run it hard a little bit just to feel good about it
Pre Delivery Inspection
Old 03-31-2010, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Boooya
good write up, thanks
Old 04-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Yeah it's a long...bed =P

Warm up engine, take it onto a clear road and accelerate moderately into second gear than as the engine is near redline in second (keeping it manually in second) let off the gas and let the engine slow the truck. This will allow the rings to not be subjected to too much heat and the engine slowing the truck down will pull oil up into the rings keeping them cool. You do this about 10 times and your rings should be broken in. The key is wind out the motor but dont hammer it so hard that you run the engine too hot. You can bring up to redline but not have to be flooring it. An engine broken in at high rpm's will always be a strong engine.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:43 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Just curious if you still have to change the oil and filter after the first 1,000 miles to get rid of any metal particles, etc on a new engine break in or was that just a "theory" to get more $$$$ out of your pocket?

TIA

Quick Reply: thoughts on breaking in a new engine?