Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Tailgate light bar

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate light bar

I am looking at buying a light bar for under the tailgate on my 08 f150.I was wondering what u guys think is good.I want one that will last a couple years.So anybody that has one tell me how it is working for you.Thanks
Old 12-29-2008, 01:25 AM
MuthaTruckin' Monster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kingoftheroad
I am looking at buying a light bar for under the tailgate on my 08 f150.I was wondering what u guys think is good.I want one that will last a couple years.So anybody that has one tell me how it is working for you.Thanks
Here you go King...
After doing some research late last year and hearing plenty of good reviews about it, I went w/the company RECON's 60" "Line of Fire" tailgate light bar.

http://www.gorecon.com/product.php?p...t+Bar&p_cat=25

As you can see it is super inexpensive at less than $60 and I believe that it can be installed either 'plug and play' (I believe via something similar to an OBD II port located in the rear of the truck) or directly into the trucks electrical system. I'm not really sure what the advantage one is over the other.

But I think it looks sweet, it's inexpensive, and it adds an extra level of safety for our trucks when we're switching lanes (as if people couldn't see the regular rear signals on these big ***** trucks before anyways, lol).

Lastly, I know that it is advertsing, but if you read the Recon link that I sent to you, you'll see that it says this product is the "brightest and longest lasting tailgate light bar on the market". The guys who installed it for me said it should last a minimum of 4 years, and as inexpesive as it is, I don't think that it hurts the wallet too much to have to get a new one.

So there you go...hope that this helps somewhat, and happy hunting! Let us know what/who you finally end up going with, and of course with some pics!
Old 12-29-2008, 09:00 AM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

/\/\

Good info, I have been looking into getting one as well. Simple and effective. And cheap. Like the cheap part. lol
Old 12-29-2008, 10:00 AM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

I have found that they all seem to be made by the same people. I have a version of the fire and ice bar and now only half of it works. It appears that the problem lies not within the fact that is may "last" since an LED technically could never "wear out", but the problem lies within the level of sealant on the bar. Mine is filled with condensation and have effected the terminals.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:03 AM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

All of that being said, yes the light does plug into the 4 pin out on the hitch, but if you purchase the fire and ice bar, you must hardwire the single wire. Which can be easily done by a clip tap on the reverse hot wire on the taillight. I would highly advise hardwiring the entire thing since you do not have to be concerned with the functionality of anything.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:58 AM

Thank you guys very much for your help i will probably buy a recon line of fire
Old 01-03-2009, 09:24 PM
will work for beer,parts

Last year my wife bought the "fire and ice" light bar for me and yes you do have to hard wire it but i have never had any issues w it and it is by far the brightest ive seen on the road....hope this helps
Old 01-07-2009, 07:57 PM
ylf
2008 F150 Limited

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Guys,

I just got the Recon White lightning. I plugged it in and tested that everything works. I plan to install tomorrow but saw something that concerned me. When I was holding it place it looked like it might get in the way of that short bar that sticks out the bottom of the tailgate on the right side, which I assume is a safety stop for when you have the cables unhooked.

This is on an 08 F-150 Screw. Do any of your trucks have this safety stop, and if so is there and issue with mounting the light bar?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-09-2009, 07:00 PM

yeah i just bought the recon white lightning and i noticed the little safety stop as well..im in the middle of installing mine and it looks like its gonna be a pain in the ***** cuz of that stop....any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Tailgate light bar