Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

stuck injector caused internal engine damage???

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stuck injector caused internal engine damage???

A lot to read but I need some guidance here!
About a month ago my 05 F-150 suddenly begin running very rough, became very rough idling and hard to start, occasionally when trying to start there would be a very loud "clank" noise and then it was as if the starter was sticking but eventually it would turn over and then after about a minute of just turning over it would finally start with a lot of white smoke and a very strong gas smell, while trying to self diagnose the problem everything was pointing to a misfire on #7, I changed all the plugs "WOW" that was a job! and the coil pack on #7, truck still running rough.
After some research I discovered that there was a tsb for a stuck open/closed injector, so I call closest dealer (about 3 miles away) and described situation and was told to bring it in and they would take a look at injector, sure enough they found the #7 injector stuck open, they replaced the injector on cylinder 7 under the TSB at Fords expense, the truck ran much better not 100% but better, I drove the truck for about a week and noticed a strong gas smell when I would stop and sit idle, I just thought the smell was residual, I was out of work and the truck sit for about a week, after sitting when i started it there was a lot of white smoke and a strong gas odor.
I took the truck back in and they diagnosed that the problem as a timing issue with bad compression on 5 6 7 8 cylinders, about $2700.00 to repair!
I know that an injector being stuck open can cause engine damage and I believe this is the case and should be covered under the same issue!
The truck was running fine before the injector issue!
just wondering what you guys/gals think!?????
Old 06-11-2016, 05:09 PM

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

The original TSB was an extended warranty deal where ford covered all damage related to an injector failure on 05 MY trucks 10 years 120k miles. That has now expired. Get ALL of the injectors out of there if you replace the engine and it sounds like thats what you need to do. Sounds like ford and the dealer were being generous in offering to cover the injector failure. If it had happened last year you would have got an engine for free. You are out of that extended coverage now.

Quick Reply: stuck injector caused internal engine damage???