Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

stopped all of a sudden and wont start?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation stopped all of a sudden and wont start?

I have a Ford F250 82 with a old 351M in her i was driving up the road the other night and all of a sudden it back fired back threw the exasht and shut off and wont start again just back fires up threw the carb and out the exasht it **** a flame out like 2 feet long we tried all the different eltrical boxes on the fenders but nothing.
what else could it be by just driving up the road and going i was even revin it when it went. could the timming jump that easy? cause thats what it sounds like whats wrong with it but it was runnin the very best befor.
please help asap
Old 12-31-2007, 10:33 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Two things can cause this. A serious problem in the distrbutor, disable the ignition and crank the engine to see if the distributer shaft turns, They have nylon gears on these distributers and they do wear out. check the pickups inside the distributer and make sure it isn't rubbing. The other is a bad timing chain, especially if the engine has a bunch of miles on it. Before it failed was the engine idling rougher then normal, and hunting rpm wise. The rough idle is from the cam timing changing a few fractions of a degree. While the unstable idle, it moves up and down 100 rpm or so is from the loose chain letting the distrubuter, which is driven off of the cam shaft, shift timing a little. When the timing chain fails all the way farting out of both ends is a classic symptom.

Oh yes I just remember something that happened to me. Check the clamp that holds the distributor in place. I had the bolt back out and it let the distributor move, this is easy to check grab the distributor and see if it can be turned.

This is the one of the areas where gear driven cams are a good thing they are not subject to this kind of wear, if you don't like the gear whine they do make quiet ones.

Last edited by transmaster; 12-31-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:59 PM

thanks
we found it that the bearing in the distrubter went and caused the gear to strip but lucky enough that didnt damage the gear on the cam
thanks for the advice
Old 12-31-2007, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by 82F250
thanks
we found it that the bearing in the distrubter went and caused the gear to strip but lucky enough that didnt damage the gear on the cam
thanks for the advice

Great news, a simple fix, repair what you have or just get a rebuilt distributor.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:34 AM

found out not to simple lol gear on the came broke off and we didnt see it when we turned the engine over so now either change the cam or put a old 460 i have in a old truck in her im pretty sure i know what i em goin to do lol hahaha
is it a big job puttin a 460 in a 82 style? so i need to change the cross member or just mounts? tranny should work the same too eh from a 351m
Old 01-01-2008, 11:33 AM

Let see with a new cam you will also need to get new lifters, push rod's, timing chain set, gaskets, seals, and of course a working distrubter.

The 460 you need to address, the suspension, and brakes need to be up graded for the heaver and more powerful enigne. I am not sure about the transmission. But I think you get the idea.

I'll say this a truck with a 460 would sure be fun to drive, and it sure would sound good.

Last edited by transmaster; 01-01-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:04 PM

would i need to change the suspension with a F250?

Quick Reply: stopped all of a sudden and wont start?