Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Spark plugs on a 2001 Lighting

Old 09-22-2008, 08:02 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Spark plugs on a 2001 Lighting

I am looking out the window at the 2001 Ford Lighting that is for sale across the street and I am wondering if the engine in this truck has the same spark plug/head design as the naturally aspirated 5.4L V8.that has the problem with Spark plug blow out. I know they changed the design and extended the threads but I don't know when this was done. According to the information on the web it is number 3 spark plug that blows out the most does anyone know why this is.so
Old 09-22-2008, 09:18 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Mid 03 is what I have read. Why the number 3 is reacuring more frequently is a very good question. This whole mess concerns me as in the near future I will be replacing my 02. Good straight answers would be nice.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:31 PM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

The heads on a Lightning are the same as a regular 5.4, its the block components that are different.
Guys I will have to admit in all my studies of the 97-03 Triton trucks and all the miles of threads about sparkplug blow outs I never really thought about the common plug being the number 3. I agree with you Bill, a answer would be nice. I'll check with my sources.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:57 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Found this information about the blowout issue. Nothing about why No. 3 seems to be the most common cylinder to have a blowout in the Triton Engine. I realize the 5.4L V8 technologically is a more advanced and has more HP then my 5.0L V8 but it sure is nice not having to wonder if and when a sparkplug is going to make like mortar shell. I inserted bold print at the bottom of the Tech Tip's bulletin which references in a second had way the cause of the blow out problem. What I did not think about is there are actually 2 problems with the Triton engines sparkplugs. One is sparkplug blowing out, and the other is the two piece plug coming appart when you try to remove it. What in the world was Ford engineering thinking when they designed these heads.

This is the Lock-N-Stitch home page: http://www.locknstitch.com/

Here is the Lock-N-Stitch's instructions on how to install their insert:
http://www.locknstitch.com/FT%20pdf%...structions.pdf

Here is the Ford TSB on the repair:
http://www.locknstitch.com/FT%20pdf%...20Bulletin.pdf

I found the information below at this site;
http://stage.babcoxemedia.com/TechTips.htm

Repairing Spark Plug Threads on Ford 5.4L 2V AND 6.8L 2V Modular Engine Aluminum Heads
The aluminum cylinder heads on 1997-2007 Ford vehicles with modular 5.4L 2V or 6.8L 2V engines may have stripped or missing spark plug port threads. Ford Motor Company now authorizes Lock-N-Stitch’s aluminum inserts and tool kit to repair out of warranty aluminum heads on the following vehicles:
FORD:
1997-2000 F-250 Light Duty
1997-2003 F-150
1997-2004 Expedition
1997-2007 E-Series
1998-2004 F-53 Motorhome Chassis, F-Super Duty
2001-2005 Excursion
LINCOLN:
1998-1999 Navigator
A full range of spark plug repairs has been identified for Modular and Triton 2- and 4-valve engines from 1993 through 2005. By working closely with Ford Motor Co., Lock-N-Stitch has determined there are 3 different types of tooling required to install thread repair inserts to the proper depth.
However, determining the difference between these three types can be difficult. The chart above can help identify the type of tooling required by year and engine. There are some inherent weaknesses in the chart especially with regard to the 4.6L engine. Lock-N-Stitch has worked directly with Ford Motor Co. to establish these guidelines and to help clarify the design differences. The three types can’t be identified by casting number or by any other simple method. Lock-N-Stitch has developed an easy-to-use gauge to identify the correct cylinder head.

Identifying the three cylinder heads:

Type 1 has a flat area next to the tapered seat between the tapered relief and the tapered seat.

Type 2 has a step above the tapered seat that is about .300-in. tall.

Type 3 has a tapered relief that extends from the tapered seat out to the diameter of the plug hole. Many of these heads have 8 threads as compared to 4 threads in the earlier heads.
These three figures show the detailed differences in the spark plug hole geometry, which determine the tooling required to install the inserts to the proper depth. There are some model year overlaps. The 4.6 L engines must be visually inspected to determine which type of tooling to use because some may not match the chart below (Note: Ford has not yet approved 4.6L repairs).
(Year/Engine/Valves)
Type 1 Tooling
‘93 to ’00 4.6L 2V
’93 to ’96 4.6L 4V
’94 to ’00 5.4L 2V
’94 to ’00 6.8L 2V
Type 2 Tooling
‘96 to ’05 4.6L 4V
’97 to ’05 4.6L 2V
’98 to ’05 5.4L 4V
Type 3 Tooling
‘02 to ’05 4.6L 2V
’00 to ’05 5.4L 2V
’00 to ’05 6.8L 2V
Only hard-anodized aluminum inserts have been thoroughly tested by Ford Motor to assure the tip temperature of the spark plug is not affected by installing the insert between the spark plug and the aluminum cylinder head. The FT aluminum inserts don’t retard the transfer of heat to the head in contrast to the slower transfer rates with steel and stainless steel inserts. The hard-anodized surface of the inserts allows the spark plugs to be torqued at more than twice the original specification. The increased torque will ensure the plugs won’t come loose and blow out.
Follow the procedure included in the tool kit for using the tools and inserts. Tool kits and inserts can be ordered from your shop tool supplier, p/n 302-00001 or by visiting the Lock-N-Stitch Web.

Last edited by transmaster; 09-23-2008 at 11:41 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark plugs on a 2001 Lighting