Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Spark Plug Blowouts

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug Blowouts

Spark plug blowouts or broken spark plugs can always be repaired on the vehicle. I have done probably 600 on the vehicle repairs and as of yet, I haven't had to pull a head.

Just keep this in mind, when your mechanic tells you that the head has to come off to do this repair.

Secondly, don't let ANYONE install a Heli Coil product in your Triton---It is a poor repair at best!

Last edited by Spark Plug Doctor; 12-24-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:27 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have seen this guy work. He has done work on mine and a friends F-150s. While it was not spark plug related it was excellent bolt removal. Another friend of mine stripped a bleeder screw on a Miata caliper. He drilled it out and tapped the hole and even gave us the part number for a bigger bleeder at a local parts store chain.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:21 AM

Default Spark Plug Blowouts

Spark plug blowouts is a common problem on the Triton engines. (4.6L/5.4L/6.8L) In any case, this repair can be performed on the vehicle without removing the cylinder head. Heli-coil products should NEVER be used on a Triton engine. Heli-coil "save-a-thread" or the Heli-coil "coil spring type insert" do not work on these engines. If a Heli-coil product has been installed in your engine and fails there still are more options available in doing the repair! I've done at least 600 Triton spark plug repairs and as of yet have never had to remove the cylinder head. Dealerships and garages like to remove and replace the heads because it generates labour and part sales.
The 3 Valve Triton also has spark plug related issues, but in this version it doesn’t leave you stranded on the road. Spark plug issues come to surface when you try to remove them. At this time you may break one or all of the plugs in your efforts to remove them. Once again do not let anyone remove the cylinder head to do this repair. This repair should be straight forward for an experienced tech.
What I’m trying to stress to Ford owners is simply that the cylinder head should NEVER come off to do any spark plug related issues!

Old 12-24-2009, 11:24 AM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Spark Plug Doctor
Spark plug blowouts is a common problem on the Triton engines. (4.6L/5.4L/6.8L)
so ford still hasn't solved this problem totally?

appreciate the advice. is there a link or soemthing you could give up in case there is a dispute on fixing this issue? I don't want to steal your thunder or anything but would be nice if we had something to show them..

"hey, this guy did it & it worked fine w/o the head change..." type of thing. leverage, if you will.

thanks.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:11 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ford redesigned the heads in 2003 and added more threads to the head. By now all the dealerships are aware of the blow out issue but Ford doesn't endorse the repair. Any warranty that may have been in effect is by now long since expired so why would they care.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier
Old 12-24-2009, 02:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The irony of it is maybe some anti-sieze from the factory would keep the dealerships from having to "fix" spark plug related failure of this nature. Cheap bastards, all of em. I always put anti-sieze on teh plugs when reinstalling the new ones. That goes for any of the bolts, especially in aluminum.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:06 PM

I'm sorry, but don't know of any link that could help you with a spark plug related disputes. Basically, if you don't know somebody high up in Fords, you're on your own
Old 01-02-2010, 03:40 PM

Default 2003 5.4L spark plug change

I want to change the plugs on my 2003 F150 FX4, has a 5.4L engine truck has a 130000, on it, its still running ok but I feel a little bump sometimes on it, plugs have never been changed, how hard are they to change?

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Blowouts