Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

spark plug blown out

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default spark plug blown out

Anyone had this problem before with their 02 supercrew? It happen to me twice. First time the spark plug blow out and ruin the coil pack. Brought it to the dealer they change the plug and coil they said I was lucky not damaging the tread. 4 months later again the same F@#$% think happen, this time the coil pack was not damage but I could'nt put a new plug in. Bought a helicoil and put a new plug in...I'm pretty sure next time I'm looking at big bucks(new head). I did contact Ford of Canada and explain my problem. They said that they couldn't do anything for me it is not a recall. That they never heard of that before. Well I think that people should started file complaint about this to open up their blind eyes...

Last edited by GT cobra; 05-14-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:00 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

They are feeding you the biggest pile of BS in the history of world. There are so many people who have reported this problem here and else where it isn't funny. Ford has managed to avoid a recall by convincing our product safety people it is a not their problem but people not installing the plugs with the correct torque. Tell this to a person who has a plug blow out on an engine who has the orginal spark plugs from when the engine was built at the factory, and he takes it back to the dealer for a warrenty repair and they say sorry you need a new head and it is coming out of your pocket. Put Triton V3 plug blow out in a search engine and see what you get.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:13 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

That's terrible! Everyone talks about this so much I thought it was a recall item. Bummer.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:58 AM

Well yesterday I fix my problem... I sold my Supercrew. Too bad that ford don't care about their customers..I still gonna keep my 1986 Mustang GT... 1986...this is back when ford build good vehicule...

Last edited by GT cobra; 07-01-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:14 PM

at the last shop i was working at we had 2 or 3 expeditions come in with this problem. we had to drill out the whole, tap it, and put a helicoil in. what was wrong with iron heads?
Old 07-21-2008, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by GT cobra
Anyone had this problem before? It happen to me twice. First time the spark plug blow out and ruin the coil pack. Brought it to the dealer they change the plug and coil they said I was lucky not damaging the tread. 4 months later again the same F@#$% think happen, this time the coil pack was not damage but I could'nt put a new plug in. Bought a helicoil and put a new plug in...I'm pretty sure next time I'm looking at big bucks(new head). I did contact Ford of Canada and explain my problem. They said that they couldn't do anything for me it is not a recall. That they never heard of that before. Well I think that people should started file complaint about this to open up their blind eyes...
I was just stuck out 'in the bush' in Ontario on the way back from a fly in fishing trip with the EXACT same problem. Coil was acting up with a little missing. I know this because I have replaced 2 coils all ready (1 at 60k and 1 at 80k). I was flying along pretty good and pop...total loss of power and loud exhaust and some bad sounding chatter. Blew the fricken plug right out of the head. After being stranded for 4 hours and a $300 tow later the Ford dealer in International Falls is putting in an insert. When I talk to non-Ford owners about the coil issue they don't know what the heck I am talking about. Seems to be a Ford only problem. I know they replace coils non-stop at my local Ford dealer.

Does anyone know if this has been rectified on the new models???
Old 08-02-2008, 04:41 PM

My grandfather had a plug blowout on his 2000 F150 this last Thursday. With as much trouble with this problem that Ford seems to be having with this, it looks like Ford would do a recall. It is too bad that the company that my grandfather has sworn by all these years for a good truck seems to have no problem making their customers eat the bill for Fords own faulty engineering. Unless Ford decides to do the responsible thing and do a recall for this problem, I will have one less decision to make when I purchase my next truck.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Amatuer Lumberjack

From what I understand, the 3-valve motors have different heads that are supposed to fix this issue.
My truck recently popped a sparkplug too, so my brother and I installed a helicoil. It sucks, but what do you do? Do you honestly think that GM, Dodge, Toyota, Honda or any other automaker would have recalled the vehicles for this issue? Dont count on it.
I commented to my neibor yesterday that it kind of makes me not want to buy another Ford truck when the time comes (he used to be an auto mechanic and has worked on almost any vehicle there is) and his exact comments were, "What are you going to buy, a Chevy? They have twice as many problems as Ford does. Chevy is great in terms of gas milage, but they have a lot of problems."
Any vehicle will have issues. I used to be pretty big into Toyotas, but with all the problems they are having lately Im not sure Id be too confident in them anymore either.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:54 PM

Default spark pug blow out

wed.a week ago I was taking a job app and rounded a corner
and my f-150 sounded like a tractor 1997 5.4 4x4 with 317898
on blew number 2 cynlinder out I am in va south of Richmond
took it to my dealer and 422.00 dollars later we are back on
the road.One dosen't bother me much, but I am worred when will it do again?
Old 02-28-2013, 01:59 PM
Mav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ford knows about the issue and that's why the 2003 5.4's have longer plug threads in the head.

Quick Reply: spark plug blown out