Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Smoke'in

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Smoke'in

I was wondering what would cause my 1986 ford f 150Xl 302 4x4 to flood with gas and make it smoke all the time. Now there is gas in the oil and I beleive that it back-fired and blew the intake gasket out but the root of the problem came from to much gas can any one help me out. im up to my ear in tears lol
Old 12-26-2007, 01:12 AM
workin for parts!!!

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

maybe leaking injectors or out of whack fuel pressure regulator. i believe 86 was the first year the 302 was fuel injected.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:19 AM

yes thats the 1st year for them would a bad feul pump do that man? this pump is out of a 90s f150 i put it in my 86. I spliced the plug on it so it would fit would that do it?
Old 12-26-2007, 01:28 AM
workin for parts!!!

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

not sure. even if the pump put out more pressure than the 86 one, you would think that the fuel pressure regulator would keep it in check. maybe that air pump has something to do with it. better off waiting for one of the tech guys to come online.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:54 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You have bad fuel injectors, and perhaps a bad pressure regulator. What will happen is after you shut down the engine the bad injectors will continue to dribble fuel into the intake until the pressure in the system is exhausted. In a cold engine this will flow pass the rings into the oil. In a hot engine on restart with all of this fuel in the cylinder bores it will go KA-BOOM!!! the size of the KA-BOOM!!! depends on how much fuel leaked into the intakes. It is also running very rich which could explain the smoke, which I assume smells like gasoline. Now you know what it is like when a drag racer has a ignition hiccup and blows the top off of his engine.

Unfortunately this isn't going to be a cheap fix. the Injectors are about 90 bucks each, the fuel pressure regulator is $50, and the gasket "O" ring set is another $56 bucks. For your sake I hope my long distance diagnosis is flat wrong.

I had a 1974 Dodge PowerWagon, 360 small block, 555 NP transmission, Dana 40's with a Holly two barrel carb. Like most all Dodge Trucks of this era, they where basically an insult to a dog turd. Somehow the ignition system was shorted into the horn button in the steering wheel, this was caused by the awful way Dodge brought the wiring harness in through the firewall, While cruising down the highway at 75 mph I had cause to hit the horn, there was no sound from the horn and the engine shut off, with the manual transmission the engine continued to rotate. When I let off of the horn button a few seconds later the engine restarted and because of all of the fuel in the engine the muffler made like bomb and blew up. It sounded, and felt like a 200 pound rock had hit the bottom of the truck, and everything from the back half of muffler was blown clean off onto the highway. A few days later the metering body of the Holly carburetor which had been damaged in the explosion toppled off of the throttle body and almost burnt the truck up with a engine fire. At this point I was thinking, "They shoot horses don't they?"

Last edited by transmaster; 12-26-2007 at 02:26 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by f1fiddys
yes thats the 1st year for them would a bad fuel pump do that man? this pump is out of a 90s f150 i put it in my 86. I spliced the plug on it so it would fit would that do it?
You didn't mention this is your first posting. Did this problem start right after you installed this "new" fuel pump? If so you need to check it's output pressure it might be high enough to overwhelm the pressure regulator. does your truck have dual fuel pumps if so the manuals all state if you have the dual pump setup both pumps need to be changed out together. It looks to me like in trying to save money the proper parts would have cost you. It is going to end up costing you even more. Well we have all done this. I cringe at some of the stuff I have done.

Last edited by transmaster; 12-26-2007 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:03 AM

(single tank)I think it maybe the pump because it continulisly runs when the truck it started
Old 12-26-2007, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by transmaster
You have bad fuel injectors, and perhaps a bad pressure regulator. What will happen is after you shut down the engine the bad injectors will continue to dribble fuel into the intake until the pressure in the system is exhausted. In a cold engine this will flow pass the rings into the oil. In a hot engine on restart with all of this fuel in the cylinder bores it will go KA-BOOM!!! the size of the KA-BOOM!!! depends on how much fuel leaked into the intakes. It is also running very rich which could explain the smoke, which I assume smells like gasoline. Now you know what it is like when a drag racer has a ignition hiccup and blows the top off of his engine.

Unfortunately this isn't going to be a cheap fix. the Injectors are about 90 bucks each, the fuel pressure regulator is $50, and the gasket "O" ring set is another $56 bucks. For your sake I hope my long distance diagnosis is flat wrong.

I had a 1974 Dodge PowerWagon, 360 small block, 555 NP transmission, Dana 40's with a Holly two barrel carb. Like most all Dodge Trucks of this era, they where basically an insult to a dog turd. Somehow the ignition system was shorted into the horn button in the steering wheel, this was caused by the awful way Dodge brought the wiring harness in through the firewall, While cruising down the highway at 75 mph I had cause to hit the horn, there was no sound from the horn and the engine shut off, with the manual transmission the engine continued to rotate. When I let off of the horn button a few seconds later the engine restarted and because of all of the fuel in the engine the muffler made like bomb and blew up. It sounded, and felt like a 200 pound rock had hit the bottom of the truck, and everything from the back half of muffler was blown clean off onto the highway. A few days later the metering body of the Holly carburetor which had been damaged in the explosion toppled off of the throttle body and almost burnt the truck up with a engine fire. At this point I was thinking, "They shoot horses don't they?"

F**k what a bad ractet thats to bad the way you described it sounded like a unreal vehical
Old 12-26-2007, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by f1fiddys
(single tank)I think it maybe the pump because it continulisly runs when the truck it started
There you go that is the problem. Digital engines cut you no slack.
Gone are the days when you could jury rig something to get by.

Electrical problems is one of the many short comings Dodge trucks of the mid 70's had instead of bringing the wire harness in through the firewall and directly into the fuse block they had a plastic block in which you plugged the wire harness, on the other side you have the same thing which then went to the fuse block. I think the idea was something to save time during the assembly of the truck. The wiring for the cab could be done before it was dropped onto the frame. The problem was this block was in a area subject to road spray so in short order it became a corroded mess, with the whole thing shorted over. When you see this kind of engineering, from a Car company known in the 60's for their engineering smarts you can understand why Chrysler almost went out of business.

Last edited by transmaster; 12-26-2007 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:44 AM

Smile

Thanks Again every-one il be pullin chevvys out as soon as i can lol

that is quite the story about your powerwagon. somthing simular happend with me with a mach1 mustang the wiring harness was chaffing and shorted out i smelt smoke and then i tried to take the positive connection off the battery but it was too tight so i grabed the first thing i couild see a axe so i chopped the wire off. the ol car has a scar on the passenger side finder so i can look back on it hahaha.. now i keep my connection loose enough to haul off in case a emergency shall arrive

thanks guys

Quick Reply: Smoke'in