Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Simple Mods to help gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 04:42 AM
Kamber's Mommy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Simple Mods to help gas mileage

I'm sure there are other threads on this but I am new to the site and just getting used to how to navigate around. I have the 2004 4.6 and was curious as to if anyone knows of simple mods to help with gas mileage and how much if they would help. (exhaust, intake ect.) Performance wise isn't too big of a deal to me (It's a tow pig for my other vehicles and horse trailers) but anything to help with gas. I know my fiance has a diesel and they can do a lot with programmers. Didn't know how these worked and if there were any out there for gas powered F-150's. Thanks
Old 07-16-2008, 02:49 AM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's a good place to start, read some of these previous threads about the topic.

https://www.f150forum.com/search.php?searchid=152392

My standard answer is performance mods will gain you 1-3 mpg, but will cost you $1k or more and you'll never realize significant enough gas savings to recoup that money invested.

The best thing to do is keep your foot out of the accelerator and maybe buy yourself a Scanguage II so that you can see your mpg's in real time. It will help you adjust your driving style which in the long run may gain you some better mileage and at $140 shipped from http://www.modbargains.com/basket.aspx it's alot cheaper.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:18 AM
Kamber's Mommy

Originally Posted by wxmcpo
Here's a good place to start, read some of these previous threads about the topic.

https://www.f150forum.com/search.php?searchid=152392

My standard answer is performance mods will gain you 1-3 mpg, but will cost you $1k or more and you'll never realize significant enough gas savings to recoup that money invested.

The best thing to do is keep your foot out of the accelerator and maybe buy yourself a Scanguage II so that you can see your mpg's in real time. It will help you adjust your driving style which in the long run may gain you some better mileage and at $140 shipped from http://www.modbargains.com/basket.aspx it's alot cheaper.

I figured I wouldn't be gaining too much with simple things. Thank you though for the links
Old 07-17-2008, 12:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

simple things you can do to improve mileage are:
install a K&N replacement filter when your paper one gets dirty
when its time for an oil change you can switch to synthetic
make sure your tires are fully inflated at all time
dont drive it like you stole it. driving style is the number one factor in determining mpg

youll almost never recoup the money spent on mods to save fuel.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:15 PM
Kenosha Cadillac

Won't a cold air intake increase mileage?
I've also heard a better exhaust system will
Old 07-17-2008, 03:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Eagle Kammback
Won't a cold air intake increase mileage?
I've also heard a better exhaust system will
yes they will but they wont be cheap. together intake and exhaust will run you $600-$700 and thats a lot of money that could have gone towards gas
Old 07-18-2008, 03:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i was a parts store manager id have the customers let me know how there new k and filter did for them or whatever mod they bought.... 9 out of ten said that they could not tell about gas mileae because they could not keep there foot out of it.. new exhaust sounds good, sounds better when kickin it down a little..so there goes the gas mileage... but it is fun..lol
Old 07-20-2008, 08:35 AM
The Blue Beast

what about getting a programmer/tuner and adjusting your fuel/air mix for a more complete burn??
Old 07-21-2008, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by whhaaazupp
what about getting a programmer/tuner and adjusting your fuel/air mix for a more complete burn??
a programmer wont work as well on a 4.6L Triton V8 (like yours) as well as a diesel truck. it will help it a little, but not really all that much.

personally, i think we would just be wasteing money doing everyhting in this thread, we might as well suck it up and pay for the gas instead of upgrades, but i might throw a new exhaust system on just for fun! (im not saying any ideas are bad, they are amazing ideas, i just dont think they all would work that well)
Old 07-21-2008, 02:39 PM
The Blue Beast

im not worried about it to tell the truth .. i get awesome mileage in my truck

Quick Reply: Simple Mods to help gas mileage