Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

service engine soon light is on

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Mr.150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default service engine soon light is on

when i bought my 2001 f150 it had the service light engine on. it says that both banks are running lean. so i changed my gas to 93 octane which is the highest in my state i also shanged the air filter, the fuel filter, and the O2 sensors'. the light is still on. so i ran some STP fuel injector cleaner through the gas tank and it is still on. some people tod me that the egr valve could be bad. is this true? i would like to hear some ideas on what could be wrong before i spend $20 on a new egr valve.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:01 AM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't buy a egr yet because you have a vacuum leak. First check the PCV valve elbows for a hole on the valve end or intake end.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:33 PM
1999 F-150 flireside

My truck's "Check Engine" light come on when I run 87 octane but not 93 octane.

After looking at it sever times, I took it to have the injectors cleaned at a local shop. They told me the fuel pump is getting weak at idle .

No vacume leaks were found.

It must not have enought fuel pressure at take off and giving a lean code?
Old 01-13-2009, 07:01 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Michael Evans get a new shop to go to. Those guys are more outdated than me. If the voltage supply for the electric pump at idle is that bad you have other issues also. Sorry, have to go and take a Nitro pill to settle my heart.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:27 PM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Its ok Bill, cyber mechanics will stress you out
Old 08-28-2009, 09:18 PM

I just changed all of my spark plugs and coils,and found that i had a vacume leak in my pvc elbow which i changed. after doing this i disconnected my negitive cable to clear the codes it worked but the service engine light came back on puzzled cand you help me.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Scan, Baby, Scan:

Originally Posted by freddief150
I just changed all of my spark plugs and coils,and found that i had a vacume leak in my pvc elbow which i changed. after doing this i disconnected my negitive cable to clear the codes it worked but the service engine light came back on puzzled cand you help me.
Get a code reader, or have a scan run by someone else, and see what is causing the CEL. No one can guess what's happening without intense Divine intervention.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My 2001 SuperCrew 5.4L 4x4 had 124,000 miles on it when I bought it a year ago. A couple of weeks after I got it, the "Service Engine Soon" light came on so I got a hand held code reader which showed codes for "System too lean; bank one", and "System too lean; bank two". I checked for vacuum leaks, cleaned the MAF sensor, etc. I ended up running a can of SeaFoam through it and the service light went out. Apparently the injectors were so clogged that the computer couldn't compensate for low flow by keeping the injectors open long enough. Anyway, my problem may not be the same as yours, but that's what I did. YouTube has a video put out by Seafoam that shows how to clean the injectors, cumbustion chambers, and tops of valves by pouring some into the gas tank and some directly into brake booster vacuum line while the engine is running.
Good luck with yours.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:06 AM

Had the same problem in my 04 right after I bought it. Previous owner had a k&n filter and most likely over-oiled it, getting the maf sensor dirty. Took apart the intake, pulled out the maf sensor (carefully!) and sprayed it with maf sensor cleaner (electrical contact cleaner will work) and problem solved. Guess this happens a lot with those K&N filters. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:07 AM
November 2009 TOTM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

what is the code that comes up on the code reader?

Quick Reply: service engine soon light is on