Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Rough slow hot start, stalling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough slow hot start, stalling.

I have a 2010 F 150 5.4L with about 174K on it. A few days ago while we had really warm weather ( around 85 F) my truck started having trouble starting when warmed up. Every time I tried to start with the engine warm, it took several attempts before It eventually very slowly started at a very low rpm before getting to speed. As I was driving, every time I stopped, the engine surged up to 1500 before coming back to idle, and a couple times the engine just stalled. During a few start attempts the oil icon was momentarily displayed on the message centre even though the oil pressure gauge was showing a normal operating pressure.
The engine fires up right away when cold and the engine light never came on. There is also no error code pending or logged.
The VCT solenoids and spark plugs were replaced last year.
Without any error code I am not sure where to start, fuel pump issue, ETB problems or cam phasers ?
I am not sure if it is a common problem with the 5.4L Triton or if the symptoms I described have already been addressed in a previous thread. Anything will help. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Rough slow hot start, stalling.