Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Rough Idle at Start up

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idle at Start up

Hi, new here but not to Ford trucks. I have a 98 SCAB 4X4 4.6 with 190K and every morning or at the end of the work day when I start it to go home it will idle and run rough for a couple of minutes. I replaced the IAC and FPR and FF with no change. I replaced PCV valve and hose and checked all vac hoses still no change. I even borrowed an injector tester and checked all and they all seem fine. Ran some techron through the fuel and nothing but when I ran mavel mystery through it got some better. Buddy who lent me the injector tester said the fuel pump has a check valve and it might be stuck and fuel line pressure bleeding back into tank. Has anyone had this problem before and if so what was the remedy?
Old 06-24-2008, 09:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like and injector dribbling fuel after its shut off. causes a cylinder to load up and then takes a min or two to clean out upon start up
Old 06-24-2008, 12:12 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

To add to what KTMBOYZ said, check your fuel pressure, leave gauge on turn off engine and see how long it holds pressure. Rapid bleed off is no good and could be the dribble mentioned earlier causing your concern.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

turn you ignition on till you hear the noise under the hood, then start it then might give you a lil hint to your prob

Quick Reply: Rough Idle at Start up