Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Rev. Bill

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 07:54 PM
Rev. Bill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Rev. Bill

Got a 2004 F150 Black FX4 (5.4L) with 198,500 75% "over the road" sweet miles on it. Wife named 'er "SHADOW". Up to now SHADOW has been well maintained and trouble free. I'd like to keep 'er that way. Planning an 8,000 mile trip with 25' camper in tow this summer. Will be going up and down the Rockies from Canada to New Mexico and would like some suggestions and/or advice on how to best prepare Old (SHADOW) for the trip.

All comments are welcome.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:33 AM

Received 159 Likes on 145 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:39 AM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

Unless you know when it was last done I'd guess you are due for plugs and wires. Probably needs fluid changed in rear end, transmission, and transfer case if applicable. Might want to change power steering, coolant, and brake fluids too. Basically any liquid might be due unless it was recently (last 50,000 miles maybe) done. You may want to check the manual regarding service intervals for some of that. I don't know what that year called for.

Otherwise, load it up, check the tires and brakes, and drive.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:06 AM
Rev. Bill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by packplantpath
Unless you know when it was last done I'd guess you are due for plugs and wires. Probably needs fluid changed in rear end, transmission, and transfer case if applicable. Might want to change power steering, coolant, and brake fluids too. Basically any liquid might be due unless it was recently (last 50,000 miles maybe) done. You may want to check the manual regarding service intervals for some of that. I don't know what that year called for.

Thanks! I'm right up to speed with you on your suggestions.

Cheers,
Rev. Bill
Old 03-18-2014, 10:11 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Originally Posted by packplantpath

Wires ??
Old 03-18-2014, 10:13 AM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep

Wires ??
Touché

When did Ford switch over. I drove gm stuff back then!

Quick Reply: Rev. Bill