Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Return on Investment with an Intake

Old 05-21-2008, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Return on Investment with an Intake

Hello,
My parents own a 2003 F-150 XLT, with the 4.6 litre V8. They trailer a food stanad business every weekend about 60-70 miles total, there and back to the set up location.

The trailer weighs around 5000 according to my father.

Anyway, every weekend they are noticing that they use a half of tank every weekend, and were concerned with increasing gas mileage. My father drives slower now, and gets better gas mileage, but was interested in getting a K&N intake, or any other reputable brand to help increase gas mileage.

What my concern is, is the chunk of money invested in the intake going to pay for itself in the coming weekends in savings in gas mileage?

I myself have been into cars for awhile, but mostly engines with under 2.2 litres, and with 6-cylinders or less. I have noticed pretty good MPG increases with those engines with intakes that flow better, exhaust, etc, but most of the work I did was not as expensive as the intake.

So do you guys think it is worth it?
Old 05-21-2008, 11:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

if your doing it purely to save money and are hoping for a quick return on your money, i would just do a drop in filter. a whole intake kit would probably take a year or two to pay for itself. might want to look into opening up the exhaust with a high flow muffler as well
Old 05-22-2008, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I figured a drop in might be a better choice.

I also figured Id take a shot and see if anyone noticed if the savings were amazingly quick. I kind of expected they wouldn't be, but thought there might be a chance. Ill look into better flowing mufflers too for him. Thanks again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Return on Investment with an Intake