Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Rearend Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rearend Questions

So I had an amazing thing happen to me a couple months ago. At 80 MPH, my rear end decided to blow apart. It may not surprise some of you, but I almost had to change my underwear when this happened. Anyways, I bought a salvage rear end and swapped her out to get running again. I still have the old one though (heaven forbid I throw old parts away) and the damage to it is quite astonishing.

What seems to have happened is that the pinion gear snapped (due to the bearing going out), and lodged underneath the ring and differential gears. What happened next takes the cake. It hit/jammed the housing hard enough to bust a huge crack in it. Judging off the thickness of the area that cracked, it hit really frigging hard.

So now, being the curious mind, I have decided to see if I can repair this old rear end, as I have a rock buggy it would be fantastic to beat up on. The internal differential gears look quite in good shape, as does the actual ring gear (less a few burrs on the teeth). What I'm going to do, as cheap as possible, is put a new ring and pinion in.

I know the bearings are shot, blown apart. I would prefer not to buy a master install kit if I don't have to. I keep running into bearings with all sorts of ID measurements, IE: 1.385, 1.685. I do know that there is an inner and outer bearing. Does anyone know which are which? Or does anyone know how I can find out? I've Googled away and the descriptions at part stores online are very vague.

Any help is appreciated.

Quick Reply: Rearend Questions