Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Race gas

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race gas

Well i gotta 99 F150 4.6 and i put race gas in it she loved it the first night like i thought she was on spray but yeah next shes runnin like crap and idleing so rough and backfiring and there is some black *** smoke comin out the pipes when i get on it so yeah oh yeah i got 161,xxx on the motor. What did i mess up?
Old 02-22-2009, 01:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You probably killed your 02 sensors and cats from the lead and additives in the race gas not to mention wasting a ton of money on race fuel for a stock 4.6l... Can I ask why??

You do know that race gas does nothing but increase the threshold for detonation by burning slower than regular gas and will actually run WORSE in a low compression stock engine. If your aren't running 11:1 or more compression or boost then don't waste your money!
Old 02-22-2009, 01:37 PM

Eh i just wanted to see what it would do its all the talk in mboro tn so yeah i gave it a shot well i'm not totally stock i do have an exhaust lol but yeah other than nothin. I also beat a Chevy SS truck while one this so it was worth it i guess but now she runs likke SH*T no joke
Old 02-25-2009, 06:37 PM

Dito what racin said. Your O2's are done and your cats are probably fouled as well. Never use race gas on a vehicle with catalytic converters.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:07 PM

we live and we learn. I guess you just learned a bigger lesson than most this time. lol i had a guy tell me i needed to run premium in my brand new sled cause he did and its way better (more hp). i then had to explain to the guy that he was retarted and was wasting money cause he wasn't running high enough compression to burn it proporly.

When it says regular unleaded 87 octane only... its usually for a pretty good reason
Old 03-13-2009, 07:16 PM

This is a funny story. Seen it happen many times. I used to work at an airport, and a guy wanted to put jet fuel in his car. Little does he know it's basically just kerosene. I should have pumped into his car for a good laugh but I didn't.
I have a street/strip car with 12.4:1 compression that makes 740hp on 93 octane pump gas. Race fuel is a big waste if you don't need it. Now if I had 16:1 compresson........
Old 03-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Local Roofer

I ran race gas in my relatively stock 5.0 mustang, but I didnt have cats, so I didnt have a problem after it ran out. how bad are you talking? To the point it wont run at all or just missing.

Quick Reply: Race gas