Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

PO402 Excessive EGR Flow

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PO402 Excessive EGR Flow

Engine is running very rough, very rich. Will hardly idle, sounds like it has a big ole cam in it. Have to spin it over for about 10 seconds to crank after turning off. Hardly running at all. Sometimes dies when coming to a stop.

Pulled a CEL: PO402 Excessive EGR Flow

Checked the voltage on the DPFE but it is the correct voltage
blue & Green: .97 volts..blue & white: 5 volts

It seems to have the symptoms of the DPFE but i dont know if that is it because the voltage seems good.

Ive cleaned the EGR Valve before but never really helped.

What could it be?

Thanks Alot
Old 09-21-2009, 11:24 PM
Let's go play in the mud

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it ant the valve its the sensor. the sensor has two hoses going to it from your egr tube. or it could be that one of your hoses have a hole in it.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you know its not the valve? It shows the symptoms of a stuck valve.

The volt meter tests show the DPFE is good.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:55 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Both above comments are valid. The DPFE does tell the PCM the amount of EGR flow. And these are notorous for acting up. The EGR valve has merit also. I just went thru this on my wifes 96 5.0 Explorer, I went from excessive flow to insufficient flow and back to excessive flow within 700 miles. To test the EGR valve you need a hand vacuum pump to observe the pintle action. Its best to have the engine and valve up to temperature. A good valve will open slowly and smoothly in response to vacuum applied. My old valve wouldn't move untill 4 inches of vacuum and then it popped open in one movement. I bought a Ford valve and so far its functioning perfectly. I would definately test valve thoroughly, which I faliled to do on my first attempt.

In case you read my post about two weeks ago about this subject, the 96 5.0 Explorer has the early generation components (OBD I) with the later system OBD II testor and codes. I first replaced the EVP sensor, no bueno, replaced the EGR itself and its now fine.

Quick Reply: PO402 Excessive EGR Flow