Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

<<<PLEASE HELP>>> OD light blinking and completly missing 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation <<<PLEASE HELP>>> OD light blinking and completly missing 2nd gear

Im new here, I just bought my 1997 F150 4.6L 4wd two Saturdays ago, it was doing this strange thing at about 38-44 Mph, it felt like going over a rumble strip for a split second, I was told by the trans shop that the torque converter was bad, so thinking I would get ahead of the game I found a trans out of a 98 with same motor and 4wd, I bought a new torque converter and put that in the new tranny as well, my mechanic put it all back together and now it seems there is no second gear and the OD light is blinking. 16 hours after picking up the truck from my mechanic one of the trans cooler lines broke, I fixed that after limping the truck home, but the OD light is still blinking and when I pull out from a dead stop first gear seems fine, then it goes to shift to second and it just revs really high and then goes into third and on I go. Also sitting at idle with the trans in drive the rpms go way down like it wants to stall sometimes, is there some kind of reset that needs to be done to the computer when the new trans was installed or something? Ive already got $1300 wrapped into this issue and feel im getting nowhere. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by JRyanM383
Im new here, I just bought my 1997 F150 4.6L 4wd two Saturdays ago, it was doing this strange thing at about 38-44 Mph, it felt like going over a rumble strip for a split second, I was told by the trans shop that the torque converter was bad, so thinking I would get ahead of the game I found a trans out of a 98 with same motor and 4wd, I bought a new torque converter and put that in the new tranny as well, my mechanic put it all back together and now it seems there is no second gear and the OD light is blinking. 16 hours after picking up the truck from my mechanic one of the trans cooler lines broke, I fixed that after limping the truck home, but the OD light is still blinking and when I pull out from a dead stop first gear seems fine, then it goes to shift to second and it just revs really high and then goes into third and on I go. Also sitting at idle with the trans in drive the rpms go way down like it wants to stall sometimes, is there some kind of reset that needs to be done to the computer when the new trans was installed or something? Ive already got $1300 wrapped into this issue and feel im getting nowhere. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
I can't really help cause I'm not an automatic kinda guy, buy I do have a Lil bit of advice.........go to another forum if you want any advice about trouble shooting.... There is one thread in particular (started by a new member) that has 190 views with only two replies, and one was me... You won't find any help on this forum, just a bunch of ppl that wanna brag, or gloat about this, that, or the other.. Sorry I can't help though..
Old 02-21-2013, 09:10 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

The first mistake you made was hiring the mechanic you did. The rumble strip sensation is well documented and is repaired with a simple trans filter kit and the addition of a friction modifier Ford has.

The problems you now have rest entirely on the unit you bought and the asshat that installed it.

Most likely the trans range sensor is defective and/or the goober that swapped the unit out pinched wires between the engine block and the tranny.

If you can, I suggest you get your other tranny back in, change the fluid and filter, add the friction modifier Ford sells and repair any broken wires.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:13 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by MolonLabe
You won't find any help on this forum, just a bunch of ppl that wanna brag, or gloat about this, that, or the other.. Sorry I can't help though..
I'm a Ford factory certified technician perhaps I should clone myself so you will be satisfied?

Turn in your membership badge and depart this forum immediately, oh and your member dues are non refundable.

The following users liked this post:
sgtpatiolantern (02-21-2013)
Old 02-24-2013, 08:40 AM

Thumbs up I agreeee

Originally Posted by MolonLabe
You won't find any help on this forum, just a bunch of ppl that wanna brag, or gloat about this, that, or the other.. Sorry I can't help though..
I started a tranny question post about 9 months ago and the only two replies to it are me and me, apparently no one has ever played with a f150 tranny?

Last edited by mayville1; 02-24-2013 at 08:42 AM.

Quick Reply: <<<PLEASE HELP>>> OD light blinking and completly missing 2nd gear