Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Pacesetter Shorties, Who to install?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pacesetter Shorties, Who to install?

I've purchased a set of Pacesetter shorty headers to replace the stock/corroded manifold on my 2001 F150 5.4l. I'm only doing this because I notice a "tapping" from the passenger side - two broken bolts at the back of the manifold. So I'm assuming all bolts will be difficult to remove. I tried it myself, but don't have the tolls or time to do the job.

I've gotten a rough estimate from one private shop of $300 in labor to do the job - for one side. After talking to the guy, he certainly has experience with the truck - he mentioned fixing spit plugs, replacing ignition coils AND the manifold work. I was going to do only the one side to save some cash, but I figure if I'm going to be without the truck, why not do both at the time. So now I'm talking probably $600-800 I'm guessing.

My question, would it be worthwhile at least trying one of the franchise shops like Meineke that do nothing but exhaust work?

Also, for guys who've done this, do I use the stock gasket and hardware, or upgrade both? It looks like the factory gasket has a copper laminate in it from waht I can see.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Quick Reply: Pacesetter Shorties, Who to install?