Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

o5 new battery now idle problems?

Old 03-26-2009, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy o5 new battery now idle problems?

Put in new battery now I have low idle and some times it dies. Now engine light is on and now it power surges in idle position and when you go to gas it you can hear something like air flow be for it reves up. I hope I am explaining this right. This all started after I put new battery in it. Can you help me please. Dealer wants 125.00 just to look at and tell me what it is!
Old 03-26-2009, 03:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first of all when u put new battery in you should of put a battery pack on the cables to keep the computer memory intact... but you should be able to still disconnect battery postive cable say maybe 5 minutes, some say more some say less, but then put on battery cable and it should adjust itself. I have done this in order to adjust transmission shift points... which is done by the computer on board... it is possible you may have to go to a dealer and have them reprogram the computer... doesnt take long just dealers are money hungry...
Old 03-26-2009, 09:49 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

If irratic idle has occurred after battery replacement, would think the new idle strategy will be learned shortly. If it was there before, check for codes and check out the IAC.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question rough idle?

I was told to take off the negative, I did that, but still surging. Took it to auto zone to have a reading and they said it wouldn't read anything! So I will try positive and let it run it's course and see what it does. Thanks for the info. I'm a female trying to learn to do things on my own, but with alittle help from all of you!
Old 03-26-2009, 08:08 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The correct way to disconnect a battery is negative off first and on last. Its an electrical spark thing if a wrench touches the pos to some part of the chasis. Once the negative is off the battery is useless and out of the system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: o5 new battery now idle problems?