Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

no idle then code indicating cop #7

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no idle then code indicating cop #7

Long time lurker here that finally needs help on a situation that I can't seem to pinpoint in the forum.

About a month ago my 01' 5.4 would have a hard time starting sometimes in the early morning. It would crank fine and then fire up and die like it was running out of gas. After several tries along with keeping my foot on the gas I was able to get it running and after a few minutes it was fine.

Last week it did it again only this time I could not keep it running without keeping my foot on the gas and maintaining a high idle. We were in the Keys and pulling a boat back to Orlando so I had to do something. I was able to fit the throttle stop with a bit of tubing to allow the throttle to maintain an idle and that got us home.

All of this time there has been no CE light and no codes showing up. This morning the CEL came on and the code read cop "G" which I assume is number 7. I am going to replace the COP tonight in hopes of clearing up the problem.

Would the failure of a COP cause the no idling condition or am I going to have to search for a different culprit once I replace it?

I recently replaced all of the COPs (within the last 2 months) and spark plugs. The truck was running as good as ever after that.

Thanks in advance for any help and thanks for this forum, it has helped me immensely
Old 06-27-2008, 09:39 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

A bad coil will deffinately make that cyl miss, will it cause the engine not to idle? I guess you will tell us after the replacement is installed. Are these coils Ford OEM, or aftermarket?
Old 06-29-2008, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Changed out the coil and am glad to report all is well. The coil that failed was an OEM part that I had replaced a 2 months ago.

Quick Reply: no idle then code indicating cop #7