Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

New tranny thump when downshifting out of OD

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 10:51 PM
GDreject

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New tranny thump when downshifting out of OD

2005 fx4. I just got a new tranny at 142k miles. Well had mine rebuilt. Drove it home today and noticed that when I'm on the highway driving in OD and I hit the gas it makes like a thump feeling when it down shifts into third. Like a quick shudder or something. Other than that it drives great. Only has 40 miles since the rebuild so far. Could it be "re learning" the shifting? I'm gonna bring it back to the tranny shop Monday.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:36 PM
GDreject

Just dropped it off. Let's see what they say. I expect it to shift perfectly after dropping $2500 on a rebuild. Call me **** or whatever but that's just the way I see it.

I've put 170miles on it so I don't think it's learning anymore.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:08 AM
GDreject

I took it to an aamco because my friends wife works in fleet sales there. Suposedly the tranny is good and it should shift softer out of od over time. I think it might have gotten a little better. Ill put another couple hundred miles on it and see.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:18 AM

i just picked up a 2004 that has 178,000 on it and its doing the same thing. also another guy that i work with has a 2005 that is doing it. i think its something in the trans or a spring that has gone bad, i dont think it should work it self out and get softer shifting over time. i dont know the history on the trans in my truck so i cant say that it is for sure a broken part but i find it weird that it has happened to so many and they are just trying to say everything is fine...

but that is just my feelings.

Quick Reply: New tranny thump when downshifting out of OD