Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

New to modular engines.....please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to modular engines.....please help

Alright well I just got an 08 4.6L 2WD and Im ready to start getting parts collected. Problem is even after alot of research I cant find much info on the 4.6L as opposed to the 5.4L. I dont know what works well with these newer engines either.
So here's what Im looking to do. I want to run a hotter ignition system I would usually go for an MSD or Crane Hi6 setup but with this truck I dont think either of those will work. I see they have a fair amount of options as far as exhaust, but what about headers??? The only ones I see are JBA. Are they the only ones? How are the intake and cam combos on these things? I guess I could save and drop a 5.4L in but Id rather drive what I got and try to get a lot out of a little. So any suggestions, comments, remarks and even flaming for being such a dumb newb are all welcome. Thanks for reading.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:42 AM
crush a little car today

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There's more for a 4.6 than a 5.4 because of the Mustangs. You don't need to spend about $1100 on a MSD ignition when it's not needed. Put the money on a CAI and a good exhaust to remove those restrictions. Get a tuner(I have an SCT and it's awesome)and add some pep with new tunes. Change the rear gears according to the useage of the vehicle. I'm having 4.88s installed today but I do city driving mostly. If you're going to be on the highway much go with 4.30s.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:16 PM

Cool,cool. So far I am considering the Volant CAI, BANKS exhaust, JBA headers (cant find others) BBK 75mm TB, undecided on tuner (maybe Hypertech or Superchip), dual e-fans and 4.56 gears. So what do yall usually do for ignition? Ok REALLY dumb question.....this is a distributorless ignition right? I have coil packs? Im learning guys, take it easy on me. If I am correct though what are my options, I have never spent remotely close to $1000 on an MSD setup. Box, TFI coil, wires, plugs maybe $400 new.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:20 PM

Waht about the intake, heads and cam? Are they interchangeable with the stangs? And if so will I lose low end and/or torque?
Old 07-31-2008, 01:20 PM
crush a little car today

MSD has you get 2 DIS4 boxes and the harnesses. $$$$$$$ Go with the SCT X3 and you won't be disappointed. Intakes fit and there's even an all aluminum replacement from a couple of suppliers. When you replace the throttle body have the neck going into the intake ported as it's a restriction. The e-fans will help out some and if you use forced induction later on the original fan has to go any way.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

comp cams makes a nice cam for the 4.6....well actually quite a few nice cams. just depending on if you want to keep stock stall or not.. the problem is that i am sure the cam will do nicely but when you consider the money factor between a tuner, exhaust, cai etc... the cam is quite expensive... and with a sct xcal3 tuner and exhaust and even a gotts mod or a cai you can pick up some good hp and torque. Personally Id like to see what a cam and 2K stall with sct xcal 3 tuner and headers and exhaust would do to a 4.6 and of course cai.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:53 AM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

the MSD DIS4 is a horror story, the tach adapters frequently fail and there is a dedicated bypass switch on the DIS4 box for a reason. That being said, ignition upgrades are not required on modular engines, the spark runs hot enough to take care of anything you might need. Dont bother with hypertech or superchips which is now owned by MSD. Get an xcal3.

Trending Topics

Old 08-02-2008, 11:28 AM

Hey, thanks guys. Great info. Thanks for the heads up on the ignition system as well. So with having an SOHC doing a swap should be pretty simple compared to a pushrod engine correct? Ok, how do the stock heads and intake flow? And isnt SCT Superchips?

Last edited by JonELongDong; 08-02-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:39 AM

Oh yeah, not engine related but it was brought up in an earlier post so, when I re-gear since I am 2WD I only need to do the rear gears right, or would that still cause me problems?
Old 08-02-2008, 12:24 PM
crush a little car today

When you change rear gears get another posi unit and sell the old one. I replaced mine with a TruTrac and it's awesome.

Quick Reply: New to modular engines.....please help