Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

new f150 to me and a few engine questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new f150 to me and a few engine questions

Hey evey one long time lurker of the fourm but finally joined.

I just acquired an 08 f150 with 125k and a few problems. This is actually my 4th f150 but my first 5.4 3v. I know I need new cops and plugs because I am getting a mis fire on cylender 2 but what cops would you recommend? From what I read people ether love or hate the accel cops and to steer clear of knokoffs. Has a one used denso cops before?

My second issue is the cam phasers. Now my engine doesnt sound nearly as bad on the ones I seen on youtube but its noisier then my 02 5.4. Providing I do need them replaced how much does it cost on average? Should I have a dealer do it or is the still small enough to have my local shop do it? I know 5.0's and 5.8's and even 2v 5.4s but the whole vct things scares me away to tackle it my self.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 03-09-2014, 10:12 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by raj2986
Hey evey one long time lurker of the fourm but finally joined.

I just acquired an 08 f150 with 125k and a few problems. This is actually my 4th f150 but my first 5.4 3v. I know I need new cops and plugs because I am getting a mis fire on cylender 2 but what cops would you recommend? From what I read people ether love or hate the accel cops and to steer clear of knokoffs. Has a one used denso cops before?

My second issue is the cam phasers. Now my engine doesnt sound nearly as bad on the ones I seen on youtube but its noisier then my 02 5.4. Providing I do need them replaced how much does it cost on average? Should I have a dealer do it or is the still small enough to have my local shop do it? I know 5.0's and 5.8's and even 2v 5.4s but the whole vct things scares me away to tackle it my self.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Hi and welcome!

I, and many others, recommend either Visteon ( European Motorcraft) or Motorcraft COPs only. They are not that much more expensive than Accels and of far better quality. Accels are hit & miss ( pun intended), like the knockoffs - you do NOT want that headache. You can find DG-511's on fleabay - a set of 8 for ~$200-$250 or so.

Use Motorcraft plugs, new boots and depending upon yer build date, either SP515, or SP509's. Newer head use the one-piece SP509 plug - COP # 8L3E on the top, and Brown boots. Heads were redesigned in the latter half of 2008.

As for phasers, there are several good threads discussing this - here's just one: https://www.f150forum.com/f4/timing-...stions-247470/

And another: https://www.f150forum.com/f4/final-r...-sound-141266/

Lastly - here's a list of maintenance items and assorted other stuff you may find useful, FYI:

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/new-me-...9/#post3291654

good luck!

Last edited by MGD; 03-09-2014 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spellin', lol
Old 03-09-2014, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the links and advice. My engine date code is October 07 so guessing I have the old plugs but the person before me wrote what spark plugs they are so there is hope they may have been changed once. Non the less I'm still going to go by the TSB for plug changes

Quick Reply: new f150 to me and a few engine questions