Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Neutral in all gears, no code, dies when stopping

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neutral in all gears, no code, dies when stopping

2003 F150, 2WD, 4.6L, 194,000 miles, all original equipment.

I could come to a stop at light or stop sign, and rpm's would studder, then truck dies.

I could have it in neutral or park, and there wouldn't be an issue. Only in gear would it die.

We got it to start a few times, would shift into OD, and nothing, turn off and on a few times, it engages, I drive down the road a few hundred feet, then it disengages (slips) I guess while driving so I'm rolling like in neutral.

I have no codes kicking. This only started when it got really cold here in Texas last week. No symptoms previuosly, other than a slight kick when trying to accellerate past 45mph~ on highway.

I am wondering, is it the torque converter, or maybe a TCC/solenoid issue, or did the tranny take a dump on me...?

Fluid levels were good.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default follow up

tid bit more info perhaps will help someone chime in, though i am probably just elaborating on the previous. There were no signs of a tranny issue previuosly, then the cold front comes in, and after two days of driving with a rough idle at stops in OD (not in neutral or park) it decides it no longer wants to engage in any gear (OD, 2, 1, or Reverse) so, its neutral in every gear. I can every few engine starts get it to engage but only for 10-30 seconds. I drove a circle in the parking lot listening to a tranny sounding "high whine" pitch/noise, then it slips out of gear I guess and back to being in neutral, even though I'm in gear.

any ideas? I'm really hoping torque converter, nothing seems to make sense to be a transmission related issue such as gears etc.. doesn't the torque converter have a clutch that could possibly have stopped working?
Old 12-21-2013, 02:19 PM

Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by codykodes
any ideas? I'm really hoping torque converter, nothing seems to make sense to be a transmission related issue such as gears etc.. doesn't the torque converter have a clutch that could possibly have stopped working?
We also have this issue before on 2 of our vehicles, according to my brother the TCC solenoid Malfunction and the TC failed to engage on the other one.

Last edited by w0lvez; 12-21-2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 12-22-2013, 12:38 PM
meb

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That TCC solenoid on the tranny isn't too hard to replace. Get underneath and ( I believe if I remember right) try pressing the button that the linkage pushes in. Is it sloppy?

Quick Reply: Neutral in all gears, no code, dies when stopping