Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Need your opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 07:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Need your opinions please

Here is the story...I have an 2011 F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. 105,000 miles and the engine blew 2 weeks after tuning. The Ford garage is telling me I have to have the turbos tested and the CAC replaced no matter what if I plan on having them drop in a reman engine. The CAC is $277 and the turbos cost $200 each just to test. The reman motor is $4677.
1. Do I really need the turbos tested?
2. Why replace the CAC?

Thanks for any advice/input/opinions
Old 05-27-2015, 08:06 AM

Received 2,210 Likes on 1,690 Posts

Sounds like they are making it a condition for you, in order to get a warranty for the engine. As to whether it is necessary or not, I dont know.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by digitaltrucker
Sounds like they are making it a condition for you, in order to get a warranty for the engine. As to whether it is necessary or not, I dont know.
This is what they are telling me..they are saying Ford recommends it..but won't say it's mandatory. But this dealer will not do the work without it. I'm just upset they did not quote it before I brought the truck there.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

"""and the engine blew 2 weeks after tuning.""

if your tweaking the motor , dont tell them.
IF "tuning" means spark plugs etc, (normal maintenence) your ok.

testing the turbos ......for what ?

Testing CAC ?? CAtalytic Converters???? ....(If I have the acronym right) for what?

If when the motor "blew" and spewed trash upstream or downstream so as to damage the hair dryers and the CAC thats part of the warantee I would think.

You should read the warantee carefully. I would think that the excess milage you have racked up you might be out of the ballpark.
Discuss this with the General Manager/owner of the Ford dealer.
The next step is a Ford district manager.

Now that I reread your post, it seems that you are paying the store the $4 k for the motor but dont want to pay for the other items and it was or was not spelled out on the estimate they gave to you ??

Last edited by usernamenotvalid; 05-28-2015 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by usernamenotvalid
"""and the engine blew 2 weeks after tuning.""

if your tweaking the motor , dont tell them.
IF "tuning" means spark plugs etc, (normal maintenence) your ok.

testing the turbos ......for what ?

Testing CAC ?? CAtalytic Converters???? ....(If I have the acronym right) for what?

If when the motor "blew" and spewed trash upstream or downstream so as to damage the hair dryers and the CAC thats part of the warantee I would think.

You should read the warantee carefully. I would think that the excess milage you have racked up you might be out of the ballpark.
Discuss this with the General Manager/owner of the Ford dealer.
The next step is a Ford district manager.

Now that I reread your post, it seems that you are paying the store the $4 k for the motor but dont want to pay for the other items and it was or was not spelled out on the estimate they gave to you ??
By "tuning", I Custum Tuned the engine. Bought SCT tuner and custom tunes from a reputable dealer. I'm way out of warranty, I did call Ford and they will not cover anything. While I'm not happy the motor blew, I understand it can happen.
The CAC on the Ecoboost is a Charge Air Cooler.
And yes, I am not happy they were so off in the original quote. I told them the block was cracked. The person on the phone quoted me saying.."I would rather quote you high, then when we see it, you dont get any surprises." So, I got surprised. They did not even do much more than look at the crack to determine that they underestimated what was needed.

So, to make a long story short, I went in yesterday to tell them to go ahead with it anyways. I first asked about the warrant for the replacement engine to see if future labor was covered...the guy who quoted me wrong came across the shop and started up an argument again. I dont think he knew i was there just to get them to get the work done. We went back and forth a little, now they refuse to do the work at all. I have to tow the truck 80 miles to anther Ford Dealer.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy new dudu then hold em for ransum
Old 05-30-2015, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by tiresTOAD
Buy new dudu then hold em for ransum
What?
Old 07-05-2015, 09:32 AM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

You need to trust someone or you may be in a Pickle. It sounds like you may be in need of another truck.

Quick Reply: Need your opinions please