Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Need Ford Techs Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Ford Techs Help

I need help with finding out if I am getting screwed by a dealer.

I blew a plug out of the passenger side head in my '02 F-150 V8Triton. Dealer A relplaced the head and all plugs in April of '04. 11,000 drving miles later the truck starts running like crap. Skipping, bucking. Rough idle. I went to a local parts store and they read a misfire in cylinder 4 code. So I went to another dealer, Dealer B, to have them take a look.

They replaced the coil on the cylinder that was misfiring. That did not solve the problem. So they say. They said a new reading gave them a general timing code and they think Dealer A put the timing chain on wrong.

So I call Dealer A and they say they need to verify that the chain is off before they agree to do anything for me. So I have dealer B take the engine apart to check the chain. They say its off 1 tooth. The fix it, they say problem is gone.

Now Dealer A says that they won't pay for this repair because they say that if the chain was off, they would have noticed it right away. And since I drove 11,00 miles without a problem that it is impossible for it to have gone that long before showing up. Dealer B says it can take up to a year and a half for a timing issue to show up.

Anyway, the original repair was done under extended warranty. They new repair cost me $950 because Dealer B says you can't warranty a workmanship issue. Can anybody tell me how I can get reimbursed for this? I still have a valid warranty.

I kept the dealer's names and locations out of this email out of respect for whichever one is right.
Thanks.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Threaten Small Claims Court

Dealer A may not want to go to the trouble of court. Can you get dealer B to produce a document stating what they told you? If so, you have a good case if it goes to court.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:29 AM

Morning folks,

I know that I had an issue with my Bronco II. It was 60 days old when my dealership told me that the engine would have to be replaced. So I told them go ahead. Thinking that it would covered underwarranty.

When I went back to get the truck a few days later, they presented me with a huge bill that I couldn't afford.

So I said that it should be covered under warranty, isn't it? Obviously they said it wasn't.

I told them that perhaps it was time to have a chat with the BBB on this issue. Another fella came in and talked to me. He stated that as a one time courtesy, they would not charge me for the replaced engine, but to please, never bring my truck there again.

You can imagine my horror over that. But it did save me over $2K. Soon after that, I went to another dealer and traded it in on a vehicle of much lesser quality. A Dodge Omni.

At least you have the luxury of getting your truck to dealership A and B and to get compitent repairs. As far as one dealership stating that the other dealership did a slopy job and now you are on the hook for the repairs... that just plain sucks!

Now, I must admit, writing to the company's headquarter will often get you limited results. But it seems to me, that is a Ford mechanic ripped your engine apart, and then it failed miles down the road, because of a **** poor repair job... I don't know that I would stand for that at all. I don't care how many different dealership were involved.

Anyways, don't let this go. You sound like your in the right. Keep us posted on this issue.

Mitch
Old 12-10-2007, 08:06 PM

I am planning on getting this into court. What I need is a sworn affidavit from Dealer B, and hopefully some more proof that a chain doesn't just jump. Then we will se where it goes. Does anyone know of a resource I could use to list the potential causes fo a timing chain being off one tooth? If Dealer B is telling the truth and it really was off, all I need to do is eliminate the possibilities. Thanks!!!1
Old 01-01-2008, 01:10 AM

Timing issue would show up soon after repair, not after 11k miles. Dealer B put a coil in it, why was that the only cyl misfiring because a mod motor with a chain a tooth off is going to have multiple cyls dropping on powerbalance so either the engine wasnt really out of time or dealer b did something else that messed your truck up and are trying to cover their butts.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:24 AM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Dealer A is correct in if they were a tooth off on timing everybody including you would have known instantly! Dealer B srewed up. I would guess dealer B went to change the #4 plug and pulled the threads out of the plug hole. I think Dealer A could be your answer to helping you get your money back through providing info on what dealer B really did.

Quick Reply: Need Ford Techs Help