Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Long cranking time

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 02:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Long cranking time

06 4.6 exhibits intermittent long, sometimes hard cranking before engine starts. It like cranks a dozen times before starting. Any ideas??
Old 05-16-2007, 07:02 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like it is loosing fuel pressure. That is the first thing I would check if its not under warranty.
IF its still under warranty take it to Ford and make em fix it.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:40 AM

my blazer used to be like that, had the fuel pump replaced and now it starts on first crank, better than my brand new stratus
Old 05-16-2007, 12:03 PM

It's had me wondering, this engine is fly-by wire so to speak, so, I'm thinking, if it's like my diesel, which is totally an electronically controlled system, then all the sensors need be lined up before starting. But it still seems to be cranking too long before she fires. Am I wrong, or is this engine not electronic controlled??
Old 05-16-2007, 05:48 PM

Sounds to me like it is the crank position sensor. It will keep the engine from cranking. I has a 93 Taurus SHO that had a crank position sensor go bad and sometimes it would start and other times it would crank, and crank, and crank. If it isn't the fuel pump then the next thing I would check is the CPS.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:02 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 45auto
It's had me wondering, this engine is fly-by wire so to speak, so, I'm thinking, if it's like my diesel, which is totally an electronically controlled system, then all the sensors need be lined up before starting. But it still seems to be cranking too long before she fires. Am I wrong, or is this engine not electronic controlled??
Yes it is a drive by wire. Try turning the key on for like 2 seconds before starting and see if you still have the long crank time.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:45 PM

another thing for you to try would be to check the fuel filter (much much cheaper). I had the same problem and then replaced that before I replaced the fuel pump and the filter was clogged which caused the problem.

Quick Reply: Long cranking time