Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Injector cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Injector cleaning

So I need to clean the fuel injectors. 89 4.9ltr. I read somewhere, but couldn't find it again, about making something to open or excersize the injector so you can flush it out inside. Seems like I just used a 12v powersupply on the others. but it's been a while, and the book i have says not to use a battery. So other than the possibility of sparks and fuel in the area, will this harm the injector? I need to get them open to flush them. If you don't use a 12v power supply of some kind, what can you use? Thanks.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a battery, but i suppose it's generally wrong. It's not only about sparks&fuel combination, it's also about injector overheating (and it's winding melting) by being open for too long. So i also used a helper who was constantly turning power on&off by touching battery terminal with wire. You need to remove injectors for this procedure, and you have to use about 3 feet wires (sort of safety - you can't avoid all the sparks). You also need spare injector plug to prevent sparks at injector terminals, and i still can't say if it's safe enough. If you want to try it regardless to safety measures, i suggest to use carb cleaner in pressurized cans - it has about 2-3 BAR pressure in it.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:25 PM

not sure where u live how much it would be but where i live i got a full flush of the entire gas path for 125.... instead of using solvent though they used a very highly concentrated "soap".. but I tell ya it worked, raised my vacuum pressure, took all the crap out between the fuel filter and the cylinders... Another thing that i have done is run redline brand fuel injector cleaner and have also used seafoam. both work great... as far as regular maintenace i would use lucas fuel injector cleaner about every 2 or 3 tankfulls and you should never have to worry about this problem. Lucas if you buy it buy the gallon is very inexpensive compared to having down time and cleaning the **** out of the injectors
Old 02-05-2009, 07:42 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

My concern is the 12 volt supply, most of the outputs of the PCM are 5V. Would think a dropping resister would be in order. You know OHMS law stuff. Measure resistance of injector, divide 5 volts by it to get amperes. Now take the 12 volts and divide it by the amperes to get the size of the dropping resistor. Now all we need is someone to say Bill, injectors run on 12 volts.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Karl, i totally agree with what you've said - cleaning it right way once and keeping it clean since is the best way. But once i got into situation when i was in the middle of nowhere (800 miles away from Moscow, and 80 miles to the nearest repair shop), when the "gas" i filled up my car with suddenly started to act and immobilised my vehicle. If I knew how to clean injectors manually i wouldn't have to spend a night in the car... So it might be useful to know how to do it.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Fast Hampster
Karl, i totally agree with what you've said - cleaning it right way once and keeping it clean since is the best way. But once i got into situation when i was in the middle of nowhere (800 miles away from Moscow, and 80 miles to the nearest repair shop), when the "gas" i filled up my car with suddenly started to act and immobilised my vehicle. If I knew how to clean injectors manually i wouldn't have to spend a night in the car... So it might be useful to know how to do it.
i thorooughly understand... a bad tank of gas is worse than a lower intestine full of gas....lol

Quick Reply: Injector cleaning