Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

IMRC sticking?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 05:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default IMRC sticking?

Hey folks, 2004 FX4 5.4 3v So...IMRC actuator(CMCV) was replaced about 9 months ago...had issue with no power afterwards and turned out that they hooked up the linkage backwards. Figured that out about 5 months ago. Couple weeks ago was getting a low RPM bog especially when towing. Looked at IMRC linkage and it was stuck open. Was getting 171 and 174 lean codes. Took back to Ford and they replaced the IMRC (tried charging me $750). Got truck back and now has no high rpm power. Appears the IMRC is not opening all the way. They told me that the only way they would be sure to get it fixed is to replace the entire intake and another IMRC actuator....to the tune of $1200. They said it might be gummed up. (I have had the full induction service done and seafoam'd it a couple times)
Today I reached behind the manifold on the passenger side and pushed on the linkage/lever arm that hooks to the butterfly rod. I was able to push it about 1/4 of its normal travel. I could feel the linkage rubbing and could see the metal vacuum tube going to the brake booster was moving when I moved the linkage. So...it's obviously rubbing. It also feels like it hits a dead stop at that 1/4 travel point. The spring then retracts it.
So...my questions to the experts are: Should I be able to move the linkage manually through it's normal range (I know it might set a code)? Does that hurt the actuator?
Thanks! Jeff
I posted this in the 5.4 section but not getting many hits and no replies so trying here....

Quick Reply: IMRC sticking?