Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

hp and milage info on 01 5.4

Old 10-08-2007, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hp and milage info on 01 5.4

i just got a 2001 f150 ... it has a 5.4 and a flowmaster mufflur on it .. if i ad a cold air intake will it add any hp or gas milage to it or is it a wast of money thanks for any help.. mc
Old 10-08-2007, 09:36 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

I'm not really hip (and that term alone should be a warning to my age) about the current goings-on with intakes.

An engine is basically an integrally-fueled air pump. Essentially, the more air you can get to flow through an engine, the more power it can make, whether it be due to a turbo/supercharger, a less restrictive air intake system, a less restrictive exhaust system, etc.

All recent vehicles that I've seen have a snorkel or other means to pull air from cooler areas as opposed to the older models that pulled air from the heated engine compartment. Even the ol' '81 Jeep has an inlet tube that draws air from in front of the radiator. This is because the colder the air, the denser it is per volume, thus more power can be obtained for each cubic inch of air inhaled.

The only reason I can see why the exposed air cleaner add-ons that pull intake air from the engine compartment can achieve horsepower gains is that the expected decrease in power due to increased air temperatures at the point of inlet entry is offset by the improved air flow efficiencies. Basically, everything relates to absolute zero (-460degF), so that a cubic inch of air at 70degF will have about 9% more oxygen available for combustion than a cubic inch of air at 120degF. If the flow improvement results in greater than a 9% airflow under these conditions, then should see a horsepower gain. Remember, the computer should adjust fuel for incoming air temperature, whether it be an MAP or MAF system.

At any rate, gas mileage for a given setup relates to the ability to vaporize the fuel (liquid gas doesn't really burn, the vapors that are given off do), as well as the variability in the losses due to internal engine needs - effort to turn the camshaft and other rotating components (slicker oil), move air through the engine (less restrictive intakes and exhaust, polished ports, bigger cam lobes, larger or more valves), etc. If the CAI and exhaust setup reduces the energy required to move air or improves the combustion process, then mileage should increase.

Users here have seen some improvements in both horsepower and mileage with various combinations of exhaust, intake, and computer programming mods. They will probably chime in shortly with their personal preferences, as well as offer their comments on this rather rambling post. Whether or not it's a waste of money is something you have to decide based on expected improvements experienced versus the costs.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:59 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes it will add HP. Mine was advertised to add 7 hp and it ended up adding 13 hp.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what brand do you recomend ? thanks and were to get it ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hp and milage info on 01 5.4