Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

helpppp!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 10:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default helpppp!!!

A few days ago I went mudding in my 2003 5.4L and got the radiator caked in mud. Ever since then my engine has been overheating so I sprayed the radiator completely clean, flushed the radiator, and put all new fluids in and nothing is orking. I think it might be that my thermostat is malfunctioning due to the mud that i might have missed but I dont know where it is. Any help would be great!

Thanks alot!
Old 09-04-2007, 09:52 PM

Received 221 Likes on 196 Posts

Don't think thermostat operation would be affected - the cooling system is closed and shouldn't be contaminated by mud.

If the radiator fins are clean - suggest to take a look at the coolant sensor (not shorted out with mud), the radiator fan running properly (don't know if electric fan or engine-driven on this vintage), and fan belt not slipping (for water pump operation)?

Does the motor 'feel' hotter than normal?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:14 PM

its really weird... If I start it cold i can go for about 7 miles and all of a sudden the temperature gauge will spike and then the truck overheats... once that happens Im screwed and I have to limp back home. I was thinking something along the lines of a sensor not turning on but I have no clue where one on this truck might be.. the owners manual has NO INFO and I havnt gotten a book on my truck yet. I refuse to take my truck to a shop unless I absolutely have to but its looking like thats what is going to have to happen unless someone has another Idea? ...
Old 09-05-2007, 06:27 AM
Sep 08' TOTM Winner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What mix did you put in there?
Old 09-05-2007, 07:54 AM

Received 221 Likes on 196 Posts

I'm not familiar with the newer setups - but the spiking temperature thing jogged my memory on a similar problem I had with a Honda (yes, I have been to the dark side) - making sure all the air is out of the cooling system - there was a special bleed port near the upper coolant outlet on the motor since it was physically higher than the radiator. Just a WAG (wild-a**ed guess).
Old 09-05-2007, 07:57 AM
Sep 08' TOTM Winner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wde3477
I'm not familiar with the newer setups - but the spiking temperature thing jogged my memory on a similar problem I had with a Honda (yes, I have been to the dark side) - making sure all the air is out of the cooling system - there was a special bleed port near the upper coolant outlet on the motor since it was physically higher than the radiator. Just a WAG (wild-a**ed guess).
I think you are right. Try bleeding out the system agina and refilling it. There could have been a blockage somewhere and now it broke free so you have a air pocket in there.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:53 PM

thanks guys for the help. ill try it out and let you know how it goes!!
Old 09-07-2007, 12:52 AM

well guys.. thanks for the advice... I took my radiator cover off and sprayed the rest of the 5 tons of mud off that was on there and flushed the radiator one more time... It seems to have worked.. I drove it around for about an hour and all seemed fine.. I was in line at Wendys drive through though and it started to overheat again. I turned it off and let it cool off for about five minutes then drove it home... I let it sit for about 15 minutes but it didnt do it again so maybe it was just my imagination...!!! Thanks again for the help!
Old 09-10-2007, 02:30 AM
Repoman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try Taking The Fan Shroud Off. I Beat The Corners On The Inside Are Caked With Mud. That Has Happened To Me On My Rhino Numerous Times.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:42 PM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You may have had a air pocket from the refill of the radiator. Try releasing the pressure a couple of times to bleed the air out.

Quick Reply: helpppp!!!