Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

HELP Timing chain 03' 5.4

Old 08-29-2009, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP Timing chain 03' 5.4

I am trying to get my timing set back up on my 5.4 and well two things, the new chains dont just have two bright links on either end. One end has one bright link and on the other end it has two gright links next to each other. Am i supposed to split the bright links on the cam? or what? as well, i cant seem to get the timing marks to line up right at all on my left side when ssetting the cam to the 12 o'clock position as it says in the book.

Any help would be appreciated and the sooner the better!!!!!

Thanks
Old 08-29-2009, 09:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tryan037
I am trying to get my timing set back up on my 5.4 and well two things, the new chains dont just have two bright links on either end. One end has one bright link and on the other end it has two gright links next to each other. Am i supposed to split the bright links on the cam? or what? as well, i cant seem to get the timing marks to line up right at all on my left side when ssetting the cam to the 12 o'clock position as it says in the book.

Any help would be appreciated and the sooner the better!!!!!

Thanks
The 2 bright links go on the camshaft. If you did not lock down the cam, you might have to rotate it.

Slightly loosen the camshaft holding tools to allow slight camshaft movement. Rotate the LH camshaft with the Camshaft Positioning Tool until the timing mark is approximately at 12 o'clock.
Rotate the RH camshaft with the Camshaft Positioning Tool until the timing mark is approximately at 11 o'clock. Tighten the Camshaft Holding Tools to maintain camshaft pre-positioning.

Position the RH (outer) timing chain on the crankshaft sprocket, aligning the copper (marked) link with the timing mark on the sprocket.

Position the RH timing chain/belt on the camshaft sprocket. Make sure the two copper-colored links align with the camshaft sprocket timing mark.
Position the LH and RH timing chain tensioner arms on the dowel pins. Position the timing chain tensioner assemblies, and install the bolts.

Hope this helps !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP Timing chain 03' 5.4