Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Headers or new manifolds??

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Headers or new manifolds??

Alright so my manifolds are starting to leak on my '96 f150. Its got the 302 V8, and already has a true dual no cat exhaust, i was wondering if i should do manifolds again, or step it up with a set of headers? Will i see any more power with headers compared to manifolds? Will there be a different sound? let me know what you think.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:41 PM
SW Rep

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts

Zac,

We have found that most of the power to be picked up in an exhaust is with the headers. Catbacks give you a small boost and definitely get you the sound but it is the headers that really help the stock motors.

Though I do not have Dyno numbers on your particular year, headers will likely pickup 20-30hp on your truck over stock.

I'd go headers over stock manifolds every single time... Course it wouldn't be hard to accuse me of being biased haha
Old 01-18-2012, 04:59 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Stainless Works

I'd go headers over stock manifolds every single time... Course it wouldn't be hard to accuse me of being biased haha
I'd agree headers over manifolds every time, although you might be biased on which brand to get.

OP: Better power and a little different/louder sound for your pushrod. Throw an X or H in there from the headers to the duals you already have and it'll be good to go.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:01 PM

Thanks guys i appreciate it! i will have to talk to my mechanic too because he will be doing them because i just don't have the tools to get those old rusty nuts off. if i did them myself i'd snap the studs right off. So i am thinkin i'll go headers. Whats a good brand for reasonable prices?
Old 01-28-2012, 12:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zolson
Thanks guys i appreciate it! i will have to talk to my mechanic too because he will be doing them because i just don't have the tools to get those old rusty nuts off. if i did them myself i'd snap the studs right off. So i am thinkin i'll go headers. Whats a good brand for reasonable prices?
FWIW.........PB Blaster, propane torch, breaker bar, grinder. In that order, and you should be able to do it yourself. One of the four will free any nut/bolt!
Old 01-28-2012, 10:51 AM
AutoXer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing I have seen with headers on '90s vehicles (trucks, jeeps, certain cars) is that they also help out with fuel economy along with a power gain. I'd go headers every time.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't go cheap especially on a street truck up here in New England. The temperature differences and all that wonderful salt will make quick work of cheap headers. Note you may have trouble getting a sticker in Mass without cats and headers.
regards
rikard
Old 01-28-2012, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by rikard
Don't go cheap especially on a street truck up here in New England. The temperature differences and all that wonderful salt will make quick work of cheap headers. Note you may have trouble getting a sticker in Mass without cats and headers.
regards
rikard
Ya i know about the whole sticker situation, i don't want to talk to loud but i have a few friends in high places that's all i'll say, but i am going to get the o2 sensor simulaters so the check engine light goes off, plus i am eliminating my smog pump so my truck is really like a giant F-U to the environment, ohh well
Old 01-28-2012, 06:34 PM

So i am looking at some flowtech shorties, hedman shorties. What about hooker shorties? thoughts anyone? which ones should i go with, what should i look for?
Old 01-30-2012, 08:10 AM
SW Rep

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by zolson
So i am looking at some flowtech shorties, hedman shorties. What about hooker shorties? thoughts anyone? which ones should i go with, what should i look for?
I understand that my product doesn't always fit into the budget, but I would definitely go with a header made from Stainless Steel so you don't have to do the job twice and wind up spending more!

Mild steel headers work just fine performance wise but will rust away within two winters. They work well on a car that doesn't get driven in salt or snow...or rain but a winter is really hard on thin wall mild steel tubing. We offer a lifetime warranty on material and craftmanship

Also, I would try get a set of Long Tubes rather than shorties. The power gains are much more substantial and you certainly won't have ground clearance issues in a truck .

Quick Reply: Headers or new manifolds??