Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

have some broken valves and rockers

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default have some broken valves and rockers

3 rockers are broken and the valve heads snapped off of 2 valve and the other 2 are bent a tad. think the valve runners are hurt? The valves that are wrecked are the smaller valves, im assuming the intake, but have not looked. think i can replace the broken valves and rockers or is there damaged parts in there you think? i would think the cam its self is ok. any other things i should look into?
Old 10-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Catastrophic Damage:

Looks like the timing chain and/or sprockets let go and stopped the cam. Piston collisions broke the valves, damaged the pistons and may have stressed the heads. Certainly the rockers and pushrods need attention. The condition of the rods should be determined as well. A complete teardown and investigation is needed, in my opinion, to determine what has been damaged beyond repair unless you just want to throw the engine back together and pray. BTW: The smaller valves are the exhausts.

Last edited by Kattumaram; 10-05-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Censored by the Man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would pull the heads and have them check at an engine shop. They broke for a reason. Look down the lifter bores to check the cam.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they broke because the timing was off. pistons and head appear fine. i am just worried about the valve runners. i can get new valves. we bought a tool to time the motor and im hoping we can do it from scratch and time both cams at the same time. we only did one head gasket so the other side is fine, it was never removed.

Quick Reply: have some broken valves and rockers