Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Hard to Start

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to Start

Hey yall i have a 01 5.4L and notice sometimes it takes longer to start vs others. like in the mornings it starts up like its suppose to but if its in the heat (Phx Arizona) and been sitting like when i go to work and get off sometimes not always it cranks over but doesnt start its wierd if i turn the key off and then try right after it starts right up. Anyone have any ideas? i tried to serach the forum but didnt find to much. hope yall can help. Thanks

PS I checked the battery and its good, i also read if it was my fuel pump it would always due it not just every once in a while .. dont know how true that is.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:53 AM
Good Lord.....

Originally Posted by ALLSTOTT
Hey yall i have a 01 5.4L and notice sometimes it takes longer to start vs others. like in the mornings it starts up like its suppose to but if its in the heat (Phx Arizona) and been sitting like when i go to work and get off sometimes not always it cranks over but doesnt start its wierd if i turn the key off and then try right after it starts right up. Anyone have any ideas? i tried to serach the forum but didnt find to much. hope yall can help. Thanks

PS I checked the battery and its good, i also read if it was my fuel pump it would always due it not just every once in a while .. dont know how true that is.
check the easy things first, check the codes, replace the fuel filter, stuff like that. Fuell pumps usually just die and thats it but i have heard of something where the gasket around the fuel pump was leakin air and lettin the fuel run all the way back into the tank and it takes several trys to get the fuel back up to the injectors
Old 09-24-2008, 01:54 AM
Good Lord.....

oh and by the way we are out of stock on those wheels (Hoss) and no date as to when we will get more
Old 09-24-2008, 01:58 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This could be a vapor lock and in a fuel injected engine that is usually caused by low fuel pressure. When you shut the engine off the fuel stops circulating through the fuel rail and can heat up and boil.
If the pressure is what it is supposed to be the fuel will not boil, the higher the pressure the higher the boiling point. check out the fuel pressure and see if it is normal.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:02 AM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I would add to the above, check to make sure you have good connections to the starter. This has been a problem with some trucks but its usually a Northern thing because of winter conditions and corrosion.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:26 AM

thanks yall.. just one question what do i use to check the pressure in the fuel line and is it expensive.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Good Lord.....

theres a little thing that looks like a tire pressure dial that pushes onto the schader valve on your full rail. ford will have one.

Quick Reply: Hard to Start