Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Gotta Grumman

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gotta Grumman

First of all hello! I just started here and I look forward to helping as much as I can with whatever info I can offer... thats not saying a whole lot, but I'll try none the less... nice to meet y'all!

I'm sure your wondering what the heck is a Grumman!? I just bought an 18' delivery van built by Grumman and it is powered by a 1979 Ford 300 Straight 6, single barrel carb and all! My question is about the carb... I hope I'm in the right place.

It runs really rich and sluggish at idle, but runs fairly well at speed and under acceleration... I rebuilt the carb (not a complete overhaul) just gaskets, everything else looked ok, now I'm not an expert so "ok" could mean "really bad" to a professional... anywho, I know thats not a lot to go off of but thats all I've got, any ideas?

thanks in advance!
-grumman
Old 11-11-2007, 07:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Check carb float

If the carb has a black foam type float bowl float it may be saturated. When they become saturated they sink and prevent needle and seat closure. This makes engine rough rich at idle.

By the way if you're not aware the Gummans are great vehicles. They are riveted together like an airplane which is where Grumman built their reputation. They built the F6F which destroyed the Japanese zero in WWII and the F14(Top Gun Plane) among others. Grumman is refered to as the "Iron Works" because of their rugged aircraft.

Last edited by Maulerman; 11-11-2007 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

welcome Grumman

Quick Reply: Gotta Grumman