Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

ford RTS t170ft experts chime in on OD gear options

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ford RTS t170ft experts chime in on OD gear options

I just picked up a Ford RTS or TOD or T170ft or top shift overdrive 4 speed manual transmission from a 1986 f150 2wd with an I6

whatever you wanna call it, it has the shifter in the top of the all aluminum case and has no oil drain plug only a fill plug.

in order to adapt it to my land cruiser transfer case i have to pull it apart so i'll be installing all new bearings and syncros as well as a new output shaft provided by AA in order to make the adapter work.

Research on specifications on this transmission is often conflicting.

As far as i know this should be the wide gear ratio transmission as the closer ratio only came behind the 351 and would probably be more rare.

What id like to know is can i swap out my overdrive gear for another gear with maybe more teeth in order to give me a greater % overdrive.

If what i've found on the net is true i have a .78 OD an I'd like a .70-.71 so i can keep 32-33" tires with my 4.10 gears and keep rpms below 2000 rpms at 65

any info is appreciated
Old 02-08-2014, 10:48 PM

I found some info on these rare and mysterious transmissions.

The gearing on these transmission had three different options.

they could have a 27%, a 40%, or a (i think) 37% overdrive.

The 3rd gear on all these transmission is 1:1

the 1st and 2nd gears on the 27 and 47% transmissions are the same

in order to swap overdrives you must swap the entire gear cluster along with the overdrive gear in these two transmissions

The 30 some odd % OD transmission will need both a cluster and 1st 2nd and 4th gears so unless you have a donor transmission probablly not worth it.

There should be a tag on the side of your transmission to ID these. You can google a listing for this codes but i suggest you simply remove the transmission and just count the teeth on the OD gear and the gear on the lower cluster that butts against the od gear.

The od gear is easy to spot as its the smallest!

being that many of the overdrive ford side rails and top shift share parts finding gears bearings and rebuild kits is not difficult.

Finding parts for the top mounted shifter is near impossible.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:49 PM

I just finished rebuilding and converting my transmission from .78 overdrive to .70

Quick Reply: ford RTS t170ft experts chime in on OD gear options