Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

F***ing Exhaust manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F***ing Exhaust manifolds

So my 4.6 is ticking like a time bomb from the driver side exhaust manifold. I would love to fix it but am a little apprehensive to do so. I have had a problem with the studs breaking on a 460 I did about 6 months ago. and in comparison the stauds look about half the thickness of the ones on the 460.
Im wondering if there are any tricks to getting them out with out breaking them and if broken, tricks on getting them out without pulling the head.

ideas?

Thanks
Old 04-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Average Joe

Originally Posted by tryan037
So my 4.6 is ticking like a time bomb from the driver side exhaust manifold. I would love to fix it but am a little apprehensive to do so. I have had a problem with the studs breaking on a 460 I did about 6 months ago. and in comparison the stauds look about half the thickness of the ones on the 460.
Im wondering if there are any tricks to getting them out with out breaking them and if broken, tricks on getting them out without pulling the head.

ideas?

Thanks
My only suggestion would be to soak them long and hard with PB Blaster. And work slowly.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Brattonr
My only suggestion would be to soak them long and hard with PB Blaster. And work slowly.
they will break

no matter what!! i have had no luck whatsoeverboth of my manifolds leak. the quality of the bolts that Ford uses to mount the manifold and the two bolts that hold the exhaust to each manifold is absolute junk.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:46 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Just a question or should say suggestion. Try using an impact gun with the regulator turned down, sometimes the jolting or hammering of the gun helps prevent breakage.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Good old Bill
Just a question or should say suggestion. Try using an impact gun with the regulator turned down, sometimes the jolting or hammering of the gun helps prevent breakage.
Is that from experience? I am just scared to death to do this. I did some exhaust work over the weekend and the bolts holding my flnges together were so bad they just fell out so it is just vise gripped together for now. I only have two days to do it once i start. I cant afford to have to pull heads and all.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:56 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

Just drop part of the exhaust, cut the studs off, drill holes, insert new bolts, tighten up and you are set.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:45 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes, the hammering of the gun has removed more frozen nuts and bolts then you can believe. Breakage can and will happen if the studs are corroded thin. I have changed alot of engines in older vehicles, first look at the exhaust to manifold nuts and I new I was dead, put on the impact gun and off they came, of course there were casualties also.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Average Joe

Originally Posted by 97150offroad
they will break

no matter what!! i have had no luck whatsoeverboth of my manifolds leak. the quality of the bolts that Ford uses to mount the manifold and the two bolts that hold the exhaust to each manifold is absolute junk.
If you let the PB Blaster soak the nuts and try Bills suggestion you may be pleasantly surprised with the results. I tend to break bolts that you "can't" break anyway, so I am usually extra careful when removing nuts/bolts. Anything aluminum is red flags for me.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:00 AM

any difference if done with the engine warm or cold?
Old 04-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Average Joe

Originally Posted by tryan037
any difference if done with the engine warm or cold?
The burns on your hands? I think the studs would tend to break off easier if they are hot. I may be wrong though.

Quick Reply: F***ing Exhaust manifolds