Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Excellent test, NGM

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 07:28 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Excellent test, NGM

Had the oportunity to put to use the suggestion by NGM, listed under Sudden overheating, this section. Working on a small vehicle, 3 cyl with a top speed governed at 20 MPH. Top and bottom hose connect to the radiator on the RH or passenger side. Radiator cap is on LH side. This is a down flow radiator. It is as simple and simple can get. By performing his test, revealed the RH side of the radiator was hot, (water flowing), but the left side was cold. Upon further inspection with clean bi-focals and a flashlight the vertical tubes were plugged with a black substance. Who says you can't teach an old fart new tricks. Again, an excellent test. Thank you!
Old 08-21-2008, 08:19 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a weird overheating problem with a Plymouth I once had. It had one of my favorite engines the 225 slant 6. When I was driving around town every thing was fine, but at highway speeds it over heated. I could not figure out what in the world was the problem until I happened to walk in front of the car when I had somebody reving the engine I noticed there was air blowing out of the radiator. I looked and the fan was on backwards.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:31 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Thats pretty good trans, my question is how drunk were you when you changed the water pump? Had a wierd one also. 4 cyl Pinto, Boss gave me the job cause the heavy line department couldn't find the problem. At the time, I worked trucks, what do I know about 4 cylinders. Drive it and overheats, stop and it cools right down, start to move and overheats, stop and cools down. All right, this is enough, getting tired getting in and out of the thing. Engine idling, OK. PUSH the car and it overheats. This is Bull S**t!!! I found the problem, someone left a ground wire or as we call it in aircraft, a bonding wire, from the cylinder head to the firewall disconnected. Thats back in the 80's, to this day I have never had anyone tell me, so I could understand, WHY! OK, thats my story, its your turn. Say, lets start a section "swapping stories".

Quick Reply: Excellent test, NGM