Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Engine trouble after tune-up.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine trouble after tune-up.

Hey all

I have had very minor misfiring on my 98 4.6L, so i changed spark plugs and wires today, only got around doing one side of the engine before it got dark.

But now the car will barely run, It really wants to die in idle, but when i rev it up it sounds and feels fine, driving it works some of the time, but mostly it is powerless unless i rev it up first.

Any idea what i could have done wrong? The new spark plugs and wires are both motorcraft brand.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Too Simple:

....can't imagine what the problem might be except for the obvious possiblity that some wires are criss-crossed or some of the plug boots are not fully inserted.....and you did use plenty of silicon dielectric grease on all the boots, inside and out?
Old 07-17-2009, 05:43 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Could you have disconnected any vacuum lines? Check for leaks and as our Senior member (and I mean Senior, 75 years old) suggested look for crossed wires. Hey Kat, is that a misprint in your files? Did they even have engines back in your youth?
Old 07-17-2009, 05:48 PM

Hey Daniel, just noticed you are from Sweeden, welcome to the forum. We have a good member and friend from Moscow, Fast Hampster. Check out his posts, he does alright.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Retired Aerospace

Default Strangely Believe it by Ripple:

Originally Posted by Good old Bill
Check for leaks and as our Senior member (and I mean Senior, 75 years old) suggested look for crossed wires. Hey Kat, is that a misprint in your files? Did they even have engines back in your youth?
True enough....Depression baby, 1934. When I was born and my mother saw me she was depressed.

Engines? Oh yes, they were around....odd looking things: single horizontal cylinder, water box cooling, spring loaded intake valve, open crank with oil cup lube and a cup for the rod, twin flywheels, flat drive pulley with leather belt transmission, magneto ignition....really high tech stuff!
Old 07-17-2009, 07:26 PM

. True enough....Depression baby, 1934. When I was born and my mother saw me she was depressed.
Have to admitt, have never heard that before. Still laughing, sorry thing is most members have never heard of the depression. Was told many things about it, but never with that twist of humor.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:44 PM

Well I'm sure the wires aren't crossed since i changed them one at a time to keep just that from happening. as for the dieletic grease i didn't use any, on the back of the box the wires came in it said not to use any grease or lubricants on them. I also don't think i have dieletic grease, not really sure what it is, the one thing i have that comes closest is a kind of grease i bought for the battery connectors (not sure about the english word) would that work?

I'll have to go over them and make sure they are all seated properly, it's hard to get in all the way back and have any kind of force to push them down.

Thanks for all the help so far =)
Old 07-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Retired Aerospace

Default Thanks for No Memory:

Originally Posted by Good old Bill
. True enough....Depression baby, 1934. When I was born and my mother saw me she was depressed.
Have to admitt, have never heard that before. Still laughing, sorry thing is most members have never heard of the depression. Was told many things about it, but never with that twist of humor.
To be honest about it, I stole that Joke from Victor Borge and put a twist on it. Borge's version was funnier yet! Borge was relating his childhood saying, "I was actually born at home, and when my mother saw me she was------ taken to the hospital."

As for the Depression I was too young to realize any of the hardship of the period. However, knowing what I know now, and I hate to say it, but what we are experiencing now in the USA is not very far from the conditions that prevailed back in the 1930s. Unfortunately for us Bush/Obama is doing exactly the same things that Hoover/Roosevelt did back then and the results will be exactly the same (unless Congress gets off its butt and takes back its authority and does its duty under the Constitution) only this time there is no World War to engage to bail us out. .....oh, well, let's talk trucks.

Last edited by Kattumaram; 07-17-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Retired Aerospace

Default The Right Stuff:

Originally Posted by Daniel_swe
Well I'm sure the wires aren't crossed since i changed them one at a time to keep just that from happening. as for the dieletic grease i didn't use any, on the back of the box the wires came in it said not to use any grease or lubricants on them. I also don't think i have dieletic grease, not really sure what it is, the one thing i have that comes closest is a kind of grease i bought for the battery connectors (not sure about the english word) would that work?

I'll have to go over them and make sure they are all seated properly, it's hard to get in all the way back and have any kind of force to push them down.

Thanks for all the help so far =)
The grease you need is silicon grease. Here is one source: http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...ct.do?pid=8196

I can certainly attest to the difficulty associated with installing plugs and ignition wires in the back reaches of the F150. I was struggling with #8 for a while when I thought the injector was bad....turned out to be the plug wire.....very, very difficult access!

FYI: In case anyone is curious: My avatar is an international class A racing catamaran. The name "catamaran" is a corruption of the Polynesian words "Kattu Maram" meaning "tied logs", hence the name applied to the two-hulled water craft.

Last edited by Kattumaram; 07-17-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:40 AM

Seems a vacuum hose was the source of my problems, there is one going out of the valve cover on the left side, seems that one was yanked out, but it was stuffed in some sort of heat foam so i didn't notice it at first.

It solved the idling problem, but now there seems to be a new one. When idling if i give just alittle but quick throttle it will bog down for half a second before revving, and when it does i can hear a sucking noise from the air intake, any ideas about that one? =)

Quick Reply: Engine trouble after tune-up.