Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Engine tapping & running rough

Old 02-06-2010, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine tapping & running rough

My 1998 F150 4.2L V6 on start up has a tapping sound in the engine for about 5 minutes (sometimes, not always, many times it starts great, sounds good with no tapping but still a little rough) and feels, well the only way I can describe it is it feels like it's lugging, struggling to run. Runs better when it's warm, but still idles rough. Haven't changed plugs in a couple of years, but what about the tapping sound? Can't afford to do much, business is lousy. One other thing, I keep losing coolant, but it's not on the ground. Please tell me it's not a head gasket. I'm not a mechanic. Truck and engine have 250,000 miles on it and has always ran great. Changed oil every 3,000 miles, put good gas in it. The tail pipe is a little black but not overly sooty, just a little. Drove it 200 miles today on the highway and it purrs right down the road and mileage is good. Doesn't use much oil at all. Bar's leak has a product for head gaskets, would this help at all and is it safe to use it? The oil looks clean, no evidence of water at all in it. Totally confused.

Last edited by thensley; 02-06-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:23 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi there, was wondering for personal knowledge what grade of oil you use? Have a friend with similiar problem, clatters like hell on start up but runs fine otherwise. I consulted him to use 5W20 oil, as is recommended. Wondering if you are using a thicker oil.

Will be seeing and driving this truck the next few days for another issue, am looking forward to you answer.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i would suggest first off giving it a tune up plugs wires etc etc for the rough idle to see if it helps asfar as the coolant you may have an internal leak somewhere may whant to look into having it pressure tested and looked over by a mechanic

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine tapping & running rough