Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Engine Smokes????

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine Smokes????

i have a 93 f150 and it smokes when the motor gets hot and smokes at red lights or when im stopped and the engine is running, the EGR valve needs to be replaced and there is oil coming from it leaking on the motor, that explains some of the smoke but it still smokes from the exhuast pipes, the person i just bought it from said it might be the rings are fried and gone, and that the engine is only running on 7 cylinders, any ideas?? id appreciate anything
Old 12-07-2009, 03:51 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Running on 7 cylinders, perform a compression check to see if all cylinders are functioning egually. If all cylinders are equal, like within 10psi of each other, this is a good sign but really has no bearing on the oil control rings ability to control oil consumption. Now if there is a bad cylinder, then perhaps this would add to the smoking condition.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:48 PM
corey

i am actually going through the same thing. and i have one bad ring and it smokes a lot and its annoying.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you just want to try a cheap fix that MIGHT work, get some Auto Rx and give it a run. It's a lanolin ester based product similar to the esters in some of the older synthetic oils. It's primary function was to provide seal swell to the seals as synthetics don't, and to clean deposits. Ford switched to low tension rings at the beginning of the 1990's and stuck ring packs have been common. IF this is the problem, the Auto-Rx will help clean the ring packs and any seals that have a small leak will stop leaking. It will not cure a large dripping leak.

Here's the website. Do not believe all of the advertising cleaims. It is a great, slow, cleaner that does the job and will help with leaky seals- nothing more although it is common for a small gain in fuel mileage while running the primary dose. Read the instructions BEFORE you buy it. It requires dino oils only, no synthetics,it requires a rinse phase too. It tkaes several thousand miles for you to complete the treatment although if it hasn't done much in the first 1000 miles, it's likely it isn't going to help at all. I use it at every 75,000 miles to clean the internals in the engine and make sure the seals are maintained.

http://www.auto-rx.com/

I am not affiliated with Auto-Rx in any way.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:27 AM

Im hoping it isnt anything very serious because i do not have the money to spend on a pricey internal fix like that, That autoRx sounds very complicated at first sound? I just dont want to run the truck for 1000 miles with AutoRX just to find out it did nothing, considering the condition of the truck, sounds kind of risky to me but i will definitely look into it, thanks guys i appreciate the input, its good to know im not the only one with the problem too

Quick Reply: Engine Smokes????