Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine problems

I have a 97 5.4L Triton, i have a engine miss and i cant figure out what is causing the miss. I have changed plugs, coils, injectors, fuel filter, ect. everything i can think of to fix the problem but have had no success. Ihave even checked as many vacume hoses that i can see and dont see any ones that are cracked or broken. Also the engine light is not on, so they cant diagnose the problem at the shop ect. Any suggestions will help, because im at wits end over the matter.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is really hard to say when not standing in front of it. Seems you have covered all the bases and spent a lot of money as well.

Since you have changed the plugs already what did the old ones look like? did you happen to notice if the engine is burning coolant? Were any of the plugs covered in lots of carbon or wet?

Also you changed the fuel injectors..... It is possible that your problem lies in the wiring or in the ECM. It might be beneficial to unplug the injectors one by one and see if certain cylinders make a bigger difference than others. Another check you can do is to take a voltmeter and ensure that you have 12V only on one pin of the injector connectors on all the injectors.

Similar steps can be taken with the coils by unplugging one at a time to see if anything changes.

Also if your shop can't diagnose a problem because there is not a code then I would go somewhere else where mechanics work and not code readers. The factory scan tool allows you to shut off one or multiple cylinders for just this type of diagnosis making it much easier to determine what cylinders are causing the problem.

That being said I would also pressure test your cooling system to make sure you don't have a head gasket problem and also check your intake mani gasket to make sure it is not leaking.

Quick Reply: Engine problems